Sillouette pistols?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/02 10:16:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Sillouette pistols?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone have any experience with these? I'm talking about:

Savage striker
    Magnum Research Lone eagle
    Thompson Center contender
    xp-100
    Others?

I see these pistols chambered in rifle calibers, some claims made about shooting sub moa (offhand? no way). Anyway, I wonder what shooting a 3-lb, .308 or 7mm-mag, handheld gun is like?

Competition? I recall seeing guys laying on their backs, using their knees to support the firearms...

Are these guns appropriate for hunting?

Any and all comments are invited!

Edited by: hammer4nc at: 1/30/02 10:18:34 pm

tuckerd1
    (1/31/02 7:29:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sillouette pistols?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Thompson Center Contender Super 14, .223 w/Swift 4x scope. Off a bench it will shoot 1" or less (with better shooter than I) groups @ 100 yds. Recoil in very manageable.

TCC's are very nice handguns. Never fired one in a larger rifle caliber. Have thought of trying the 7mm-08 or the 30-30.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

warpig883
    (1/31/02 11:02:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sillouette pistols?
    I have the Savage Super Striker 516BSAK in .308.

www.savagearms.com/new/index.htm

In my opinion it is the premier target or hunting handgun offered by any of the manufacturers. The other guns in the class just do not have the features.

Mine is dead on for accuracy. I like the adjustable trigger and the adjustable muzzle brake. The laminated thumbhole stock is comfortable and allows me to shoot the gun without hurting myslef. I usually shoot with both hands to keep the muzzle rise down so I can reaquire the target quickly.

If shootin with the muzzle brake off recoil is more but the gun is quieter.

They hold three shots. That alone makes them much better than the competition in my book.

If you look closely the bolt is on the left. This is not for a lefty. It is for a right handed person to hold and shoot it with the right hand and work the action with the left. This way you can use the other shells in the magazine with out changing hands. It ejects out the right side.

Did I mention accuracy.......WOW. right up there with the rifle if I use a rest.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

majormagnum
    (12/15/02 2:21:59 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del T/C
    Hey everyone,

I just joined and I guess this is as good a place as any to make my first post!
    I have a few Thompson/Center barrels for my Contender and Encore frames.
    With my 270Winchester (15" pistol) I can knock off beer cans at 100 yrds with open sites all day long freehanded.
    I really like the interchangable barrels and the fact that you can get rifle stocks (as I did for my 35 Whelen 24").
    These pupps are ACCURATE!!!!
    I did try a scope (Burris) on the pistol but I guess I had a bad one or something, but my target picture danced all over the place.
    My Whelen shoots groups in the .5" to 1" without having to break a sweat!
    Anyway, QUALITY weapons!

BTW. glad I found this site, lots of info without a lot of attitude!!
    Keep up the good work!!!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/15/02 9:42:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: T/C
    Hi majormagnum.....welcome to TFF.

We hope you'll stick around and contribute to all of our forums.

Charlie Hover
    (2/28/03 11:30:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Sillouette pistols?
    I shoot a Thompson Center Encore with the 15" barrel and rubberized grips and forearm. The caliber I use is the 7mm-08, and I like it very much. I compare the recoil to my son's Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag. The Thompson is fairly heavy, which helps a whole bunch in holding down felt recoil, so a good rest of some sort will greatly enhance your accuracy when shooting. DO WEAR HEARING PROTECTION when shooting the Encore however. The muzzle blast will sterilize white mice at 20 paces. I use the noise suppressing electronic muffs when I am out and about with it (including hunting, because they amplify small noises when it is quiet). I sighted mine in at 150 yards with a bench rest and my shots all fall within a 6" circle. I get about half that size group at 100 yards, so it works well for the hunting I do (most of our shots fall well within 100 yards in our neck of the woods).

Bill
    (2/28/03 6:13:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del TC Pistol
    I have the iron sighted TC pistol with a 10 inch .44 mag bull barrel and a 30-30 14 inch barrel. I love this gun...but the .44 mag is brutal on recoil. I shoot .44 mag revolvers all the time, but because of the gun's shape the TC in .44 mag is a brute...But I have fun shooting it. Kinda of like a hand cannon.
    On the other hand the 30-30, shooting 150 grain bullets is a pleasure to shoot. Very tame in the hand and super accurate. When I was shooting silhoettes it far outclassed the .44 mag. Reached out and knocked over Rams at 200 yds with aplomb. The sights and trigger on the TC are superb. Nice to know that at anytime I can buy different caliber barrels if I so choose. However, the 30-30 does it for me.
    Laying on ones back and resting the gun along your leg is called the "Creedmore" position. It the only way I could ever hit the rams at 200yds...Very effective. Bill