Silly question about reloading in Missouri

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gdmoody, May 26, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yesterday I was over at my neighbors house for a cookout. There was a kid (22 or 23) who told me that there was some kind of law in Missouri concerning hand loading ammunition. He seemed to think that something to do with reloading was illegal. Is there anyone here from Missouri that might know what he may have been referring to?

Short background - a couple of months ago this young man was over next door shooting his new Highpoint pistol and I gave him some hand loaded 9mm. A week or so later his gun and ammo was stolen from his apartment. The police found a couple of kids in the woods shooting the gun. They collected the shell cases as evidence and was puzzled (just like the police) that there were four or five different kinds of shell casings. When the police gave his gun back, this young man would not tell them where he got the ammo from because he thought that I would get into trouble for reloading. His reason was that he was from Missouri and it was against the law to reload in Missouri?????
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I can't say 100% sure, but here's my line of thinking.....

If reloading was illegal in MO, wouldn't the component and reloading suppliers have some disclaimer and big legal discourse on it?
    Never heard about any state outlawing handloading, it will be interesting to see what others say on this matter.

Also, just my personal opinion, but this is an example of why I don't sell or hand-out any reloads. The 2 people I do "supply" reloads to, are fellow reloaders and we exchange some pet loads for testing purposes, loads that I've seen him shoot and vice versa.
  3. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I agree with the above statement, but do not know the law there.

However, I think the concern is that you gave reloaded ammo to someone and in that case you could be held liable for any problem or maybe the misuse of someone else using that ammo. Use the ammo for yourself and no one else. Giving the ammo to the 22yr old may be asking for trouble. There is concern that +P loads for self defense that is handloaded may be problematic when used. I do not know any laws about it, but there has been some discussion in the forums.

Just have common sense when using the loads and thank the 22yr old for not mentioning your name.

J
  4. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

LOL.....Thats funny! Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to have a firearm in the first place. He obviously got some info mixed up somewhere. Quite possibly from all the Ammo Accountability crap. Still, they'd have till 2012 to dispose of any uncoded handloads, if that's what he is getting at. Just pullin at strings here, who knows what he is believing. I order quite abit of components from Missouri, I do know that.
  5. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Midway USA ring a bell?
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

It's illegal to re-load for anyone's use but your own without at least an "06" license. If the cops wanted to push it they could come after you for not keeping your handloads to yourself.
  7. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Oh give me a break there is nothing illegal about reloading ammo in Mo. Been doing it for years most of the shooters I know reload.It could be illegal to sell your ammo but since I never make enough to spare it doesnt concern me.Kid must have heard part of a conversation and extrapolated it from that.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's illegal to sell your loads without a manufacturing license. But I don't think giving them away is illegal. You need a license to be "in the business" of making ammo, but being "in the business" means making for sale.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You not only need a license, you also need insurance. Can't get the license to manufactur without the insurance. Giving it away is not illegal, even to a 22 years old, anyone who is of legal age to own a firearm, can have, or recieve, hand loaded ammo. Remember, if you give it away, you could still be held responsible for any damage caused to the gun it is fired in, or to the person shooting it. $$$$$$$
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I gave the boy a box of 50 rounds and he shot most of them in the back yard before he left the house - give me a break. I can give away as much ammo as I want to, and I don't usually give any away. I young college student bought a box of ammo to shoot in his pistol and I gave him an equal amount so he could have a few more minutes of fun. I do not load any ammo to max loads or even close to max loads so the problem with excess pressures and so forth is not even a concern, except the pistol was a Highpoint.:D
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

You are absolutely right. You can give away every round you reload if you want to. The first time somebody shoots one of your reloads that has a double charge and loses an eye or worse they will own you. I don't hand out my reloads for that reason.
    Rusty
  12. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Here in NY there are a few cities with old laws on the books that forbid reloading in multiple-dwelling apartment buildings. In private houses it is OK. Maybe Missouri has a similiar law?