Silly question about sharpening

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by gdmoody, Jan 28, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    All right, I know how to sharpen a knife, have been doing it for 30 years or so.:D

I have a cheap little knife that I use at work to cut straps on incoming trays of mail. That knife has a serrated blade. I have never owned a knife with a serrated blade before and I do not know how to sharpen one. Can someone give me a little guidance on the procedure?:confused: :eek:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Not a silly question at all. I have known several people unsure about this one.

I believe you can get round stones for serrations, like a rat tail file.

Short of that I have used the edge of a regular stone before now, just be slow and careful. The sharpener I use for 90% of my sharpening these days is called a Vulkanus Sharpener, it has two sprung arms on a plastic base. It really is the business and by holding the knife at an angle, it does serrations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009

3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ohio
    A Spiderco Sharpmaker.

On the other hand, if its a cheap and cheesy serrated blade.....pitch it and get a new cheap and cheesy serrated blade especially if all you use it for is to cut some banding.

4. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    wilkes county, nc
    they make special kits with stones for the wide and skinny serrations... you could also use a chainsaw file for the wide parts too... if you have one handy

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I second the Syderco SharpMaker. It does an excellent job on serrated blades. As a matter of fact it does a great job on knife blades period. Will sharpen a blade from razor sharp to scary sharp - your choice.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I have a Lansky sharpening system I just thought about when reading the posts about the spyderco system. I think that Lansky does have a stone for serrated blades.

Tim's suggestion is pretty good, it is a cheesy cheap knife, but you know, it has kinda opened my eyes about serrated blades because before this came around, I never even thought about wanting one.

That little thing was very sharp when I started using it. I don't even know where it came from because I have never bought a serrated blade!! I found it in my computer desk drawer and just started using it.

7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ohio
    If you like serrated, then save up some money and look at the Knives from Spyderco. They make outstanding knives in both Serrated, Plain edge and Combos. I personally don't like serrated but if you do, Spyderco arguably makes the best...bar none.

In my Knife Knut days, this is where I frequently bought. A brick and mortar store but an outstanding Internet Dealer.