The Firearms Forum banner

Silly skeet topic/queston

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Crpdeth 
#1 ·
My instructor who is now passed, Chris Stevenson (May he rest in peace), years ago, while trying to help me better my score asked me to start positioning my index along the fore-grip of my O/U. He said that pointing at the clay in flight would help me and I truly felt that it did.

Now I've recently had someone tell me that this is unnatural and that "No man places his hand on the shot gun like that".

You know, normally I'd just let a comment from an obvious armature (like myself) roll off, but I'm pissed! Chris was the best skeet shooter I've ever met and very humble about it. Additionally, he would meet me early on many a cold winter morning and tutor me free of charge, even insisting that I try out his expensive 28 gauge pieces and his reloads. I guess the offence I've taken is more of an insult to a good friend then it is about the way I hold my shot gun.

I like reading after the Wayside Skeet Club and have seen on their Tips and tricks page, in the - Hand, Shoulder and Head Position, confirmation that the whole "no man shoots like that" comment is out of line.

But... I wanted to ask you guys, if you, in your beginning stages, or afterwards, have ever applied this grip and if so, how it has worked for you?

Thanks, guys... I hope you have a great evening.

:(

See less See more
#2 ·
First, I almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar. You really should have warned us... :D

Second - I wouldn't be insulted by your friend, but I would laugh. If your grip was causing you to shoot out windshields in the parking lot (hey, is that what your new avatar is?), he might have a point. But if a trusted instructor said 'try this', and it works, then it works. I've seen some unusual grips and stances over the years - my son has one, and he's a natural bullseye artist.

Every shooter has to take a pinch of this, a dash of that, and a sprinkle of t'other, and find what works best for them. Some folks have shorter arms, longer necks, bad knees, small hands, etc. If they're hittin' targets, who's to say their stance or grip is wrong?

Just my .02. :)

#3 ·
I have heard of the technique but never used it. I dont shoot skeet much and most of the shooting I do is just reflexive. If I have time to think about a shot, I usually miss. :D Give me a rabbit under my feet as opposed to a clay in the open. From what I have seen and been taught, it does work though, if it is not too unnatural.

#5 ·
Thank you for your response, men...

Juker, you're right... I shouldn't have let someone else's ignorance get under my skin. I guess it''s just a sensitive area for me.

Country, I'm glad you've heard of it as well, I feel better to see than in a short time a few have chimed in to support my friend's teachings.

Now for Ka64... What a beauty!!! A Double A Champ using this technique! Now I feel much better. I have to wonder if you've ever worn it? I think I'd put that one behind glass. Good Job!

#7 ·
Thank you for your response, men...

Juker, you're right... I shouldn't have let someone else's ignorance get under my skin. I guess it''s just a sensitive area for me.

Country, I'm glad you've heard of it as well, I feel better to see than in a short time a few have chimed in to support my friend's teachings.

Now for Ka64... What a beauty!!! A Double A Champ using this technique! Now I feel much better. I have to wonder if you've ever worn it? I think I'd put that one behind glass. Good Job!
Thanks CR, I have all my trophys on display, the sad thing is if you add up the money it costs to achieve that, they could have been made out of GOLD.

Bottom line is whatever way makes you shoot better and is comfortable, GO FOR IT........

#8 ·
Ka64, yes, but I bet you couldn't think of a better way to spend that cash and have more fun.

Juker... I picked that avatar out because it fits my mood here lately.

Thanks again, guys!

#9 ·
Crp, My brother and I both worked the Trap Championships in Vandalia Ohio and I will tell you this, there is a lot of guys who use that technique when shooting clays. I have seen crusty oldtimers in wheelchairs with more money in guns than I make in a year shooting like that. Plus there was a trick shooter way back who used a 22 revolver to shoot asprins out of the air using his index finger as a extension to the barrel.

It is as natural as point out an object with just your finger. Besides you know what they say about opinions and --------- Well you know.

#11 ·
ANYBODY who tells anybody that there is only one correct way to do things is wrong and if he thinks his knowing that he knows the right way makes him an expert he is not only wrong but he is an ass.

#15 ·
The .410 is just like any other shotgun. It will break clay targets just like a 12 gauge. The main difference is how aggressively you "address" the targets. If you start to measure or second-guess your lead you just lost a bird. I've run 100 straight in registered competition, and I have to say it was the easiest hundred I've ever done. I was in the zone and was just enjoying myself.

I don't compete now; I just shoot for the opportunity to grade my fellow skeet shooters birds and get picked on by them. They're a great bunch of old guys.

If you want to be serious about skeet, you need a tube set and a good load for the .410.

#16 ·
Sounds good .410

I have to agree with the fact that the comrade is a big part of it for me... Alas, I'll have to stick with the 12 gauge for awhile more.

#18 ·
I'm referring to full length tubes. Something like 90% of the guns in the Winner's Circle are tube sets. Mine are Kolar AAA's and Briley makes a decent tube set too.

My gun is a high-end Beretta, I don't shoot 12 gauge in it; it's just a "carrier barrel" for me. I use a Beretta gas gun for the 12 gauge. My sub-gauge tubes are choked .006", I handload, and I have something like 100,000 shells through the gun. A squad-mate many years ago borrowed my gun and won the .410 championship at the World. I've run only 1 100 straight in the .410, but plenty of 99's and I don't even know how many 100's in the other gauges. It just lost appeal for me to travel around and do nothing but shoot. Now I might bring my 870 28 gauge out and shoot a round, or my Ithaca 20 gauge S X S.

It's more fun to b.s. with the "Sunshine Boys" these days. Maybe I'm just lazy.

#19 ·
Thanks for the education friend...

It sounds like you have an extensive past in this field. I have to say that I agree, looking back on other sports that I have found myself in, that often times it is a lot more enjoyable to participate for the love of it rather than competition.

Thanks for the reply. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.