Silver Blades

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Wolf 5.7, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

You can send every werewofl, vampire, and ghost you want after me! I can deal with them. BUT NO LIBERALS!!!:eek::eek:
  2. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Silver is a rather hard metal, compared to lead shot, so I'm a bit hesitant to put jagged pieces of silver into a shotshell, lest it scratch the hell out of the barrel and thus ruin it. No sense ruining a perfectly good gun. I'd hate to think that if I survived the werewolf attack, I did so by destroying a good gun. I still kind-of like the making silver shot idea. I have to wonder though, should I be using steel shot data ?

When the beast turns back into a human, will it look like NANCY PELOSI ?? OOOOH...SCARY either way !
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Silver is harder than lead, but it's still a very soft metal. There is no way it would scratch a barrel.
  4. popgun

popgun New Member

Silver nitrate ia a great disinfectant also.
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I use silver every day to braze carbide and diamond tips onto saw and cutter blades. The brazing wire is actually a 50/50 silver/nickel alloy.
    If I hold the wire above my work table and melt it with my torch it forms a very round ball and hardens before landing. This is a crude version of how shot used to be made for shotgun shells. Dropped into water to cool rapidly it hardens even more.
    Lacking a torch, one could cut 1/8" brazing wire into little cylinder shaped pellets and loaded into shotgun shells.
    Werewolves?
    Bang!
  6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I was just thinking the same thing
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    A friend and I made (3) 38 caliber bullets with a .356 mold back about 1963. We didn't weight them but we did load and shoot 2 of them. Both of us shot at 50', both of us missed, the third bullet got lost somewhere and I have no idea where it is. We must have poured those bullets a dozen times before they finally came out right, wrinkly but right. Not impossible but not easy. I'm not sure if it was the bullets fault that we missed or our marksmanship which was pretty iffy with anything without a shoulder stock and a long barrel. We blamed the bullets of course.
  8. dustydog

dustydog New Member

One thing regarding silver as a knife blade or a bullet seems to be missed in this thread.Silver,silver alloys,copper,bronze,etc. AIR /WORK HARDEN.This means that if you cast a bullet from silver or any alloy in the non-ferrous class of materials that one associated with copper,you will have a VERY hard bullet,and it will not engage the rifling unless you put a hollowbase with a very thin skirt on the base on the bullet.You can anneal the metal by dumping the bullet into cold water(colder the better,I use iced brine).As to a knife blade,have made some silver athame blades for Wiccans,and by cold forging the silver managed to get the blades tough enough to take and retain an edge similar to good silicone bronze.
  9. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

OK, Holloween is (safely) over with for this year, and the hairy guy I was worried about didn't buy the house down the street from me (WHEW !). I had a long talk with my taxidermist, and he agreed to do a full mount for FREE, as long as the carcass was still a werewolf, and DIDN'T look like Nancy Pelosi. (Who on earth would want a Nancy Pelosi standing in the corner of their living room, anyways? ) I talked to a Conservation Officer about seasons and bag limits, and his official word was that there is no season on werewolves in this State, and therefore, they are a protected species, but he also said that a "self defense" claim would probably not be questioned too much by the Officials. Last night was the full moon, and I DID hear a bit of howling, but I'm pretty sure that it was just the coyotes. Today I feel confidently relieved that the threat of werewolves is at bay (pun intended) for a while, and I can focus my concerns on protecting myself from little home-invaders wearing red velvet, and possibly filling my freezer with...REINDEER ? :D
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Uh huh.

Attached Files:

11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Silver (even work-hardened silver) will not hold an edge as well as bronze.
    When annealing silver, you don't have to quench it in anything. Just let it cool, or quench-it will still be soft. Anyone with half a brain knows that! :^)
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011