Silver Bullet Gun Oil test..

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Boris, Nov 6, 2010.

1. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

here's an idea why don't we put Al-queda, and all the LA gangs in one giant dome and sell tickets?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

they just might get along, then we be F****
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Got the .308s put together, 200 gr cast over 24 gr IMR4198, which is about an 1800 fps load. Ill be running them thru the savage 11 I got from my FIL.

Attached Files:

4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i finally tried out that gun oil last night. first impressions is good. it smells kinda like used motor oil. which i like. i wiped on good on the barrel of my glock and made a nice film on the slide.. not greasy but you could tell it was there. more info to come.
  5. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Glock is probably the worst gun to test it out on IMO. I run mine dry and they dont rust. No need to waste SBGO on one lol.

The XD9 requires lube though and protection. SBGO works real good on that one.

Try it on a hunting gun that will be used for 3 days straight in the rain in the fields and woods. Thats where it really shines.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

try it on that well used single six ya got john, part of the bluing is wore off on that one so itll shine there for ya...
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i think i have an empty i drop bottle i will put some in so i can put it where i want it
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats what i did, I had a empty Mpro7 bottle that has a amall dropper on the tip. i put it in that... those painted LEE alox bottles it comes in are a bit lacking for me...
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Results of extreme test #1
    These are forged steel couplings that were sanded down to bare metal.
    Oil was appiled to all equally, and all were subject to spraying with water and drying out between sprays. Once a day during the week, and twice on weekends. The time frame was 14 days.

H=Hoppes
    S=SGBO
    C=CLP (Breakfree)
    R=Remoil

The multi pics are the worst side and best side.
    The singles are all the best side.
    Please forgive my camera skills.

Well, that didn't work.
    I get this message:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Any ideas? Never had this happen before.:confused:
  10. K75RT

K75RT Member

Bobitis, never seen that one b4, hoping to see the pics of the results though.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got the .308 out and run the cast SBGO boolits thru. same story as the CZ 9mm test, good accuracy and no leading. SBGO makes a good bullet lube for both smokeless rifle and pistol loads with cast bullets.
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

photobucket?
    YES!

Worst side vs best

Attached Files:

13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Single of the best side

Attached Files:

14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

It's clear to me that Hoppes is at the bottom, followed closely by the Remoil. The results from the SBGO and the CLP really make me scratch my head. Why the vast difference on the better side?

I'll perform this one again to get a better feel.

Thanks to JLA for the barrel parts. I've a business partner that will sandblast them for free. That will be the next challenge. Once that one is finished, the couplings will go at it again (after cleaning of course).

3 attempts should give a pretty accurate gauge of the ability to protect in a harsh environment.

Please keep in mind that this test is based on the exposure to the elements only. Those elements being my living room. It in no way reflects the various oils abilities in a mechanical application, or weather extremes.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

very informative bob, looking forward to the tests on the ordnance grade steel