The Firearms Forum banner

Silver Bullet Gun Oil test..

115K views 293 replies 59 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
First off I want to thank Shooter45 and jack404. This review would not be possible without them two.

I got the bottle a few days ago. First thing I noticed was it is more thick than the other oils I use. I broke down a few guns and cleaned them real good. I got a few Qtips and lubed the rails on the XD9 and the where the rails ride in the slide. First thing I noticed was it sticks and a very little bit will go a looooong way. Not much is needed to make a gun slick. At first the what I thought to be a gimic of the pig fat, seems to make the oil stick like no other. When I cooked bacon this morning and after the fat got cold it sticks to anything, even the teflon coated pan. I tell ya what folks, the pigfat makes the whatever is in the rest of that bottle stick! I put a light coat on the outside of the barrel of the XD9 where you get them rings of wear on the barrel. I shot it a bunch and got the gun hot. After it cooled down there was still a slick coating like I just put it on. The Walther P22 was where this oil came into its own. That gun requires a good lube to run. Even after a bunch of shooting and the wife dropping the locked back slide pistol into the dirt, the gun just kept on running no matterhow dirty the oil got. I have fired over 10,000 rounds through that gun and this is the best lube I used on it, PERIOD! Infact the gun still feels so slick I did not clean it. I want to see how much it will go before I need to clean that dirty little needs lube to run right pistol stops..

I even treated the bores and it seems to do no harm. Them pumkins will never make it to paradise now lol...

I even put a few drops down the barrel of my boys BB gun and put one of the warning stickers on the stock for him..

All in all it was a good day with the wife and boy shooting pumkins. We went on a hike in the rainforest up here in the pacNW after the shooting and it was nice.

Folks, you might think this stuff is a gimick. It is NOT! I have tested alot of lubes and the only thing I do not like about it is that if you want it on parts deep inside it will not spider down to them. You will need to take the gun apart and lube the part. When you do it will be lubed for a long time. It sticks and it lasts. My XD9 is more smooth than it ever was. My chicom Ithaca M37 also runs alot more slick with it. I never lube the G37 so I will never know what it could do for that. The best was the P22. I will never use another lube on that gun again. It IS that good.

Another thing I did was add some BBs to the bottle. The stuff needs a good shake and the BBs help mix it up faster and better.

The other 87% of the bottles contents is one hell of a weapons lube. The pigfat makes it stick. On top of that, it will go with me the next time I go to work in far off places. It will be in my rifles bore. I just wish I had it the last 2 times I was there. All my HD weapons right now are treated with it, better not be terrorist Muslim when I am home or out on the streets. I got my Force multiplier now........

I will get pics up later, wife has the camera and is out with the girls right now doing girl stuff... yuck.....

http://www.silverbulletgunoil.net/

See less See more
#252 · (Edited)
Even if you use synthetic motor oils you still have problems with separation over time and the accumulation of particulates in the oil itself. Motor oil is designed to attract things like this and remove it from the machinery. It is meant to be run through a filtration system in order to remove those particulates from the moving parts and to lubricate but its first job is removal of foreign debris.

Just got my bottle of SBGO to try out and will give it an old school try compared to FrogLube and in conjunction with Dyna-Tek products.

#253 · (Edited)
but its first job is removal of foreign debris..
Thats just simply not true. Oils are developed first and formost to lubricate, detergents and cleaners are added after (if at all) to help them carry contaminates to the filters. No reason for them to "remove dibris" if they cant first reduce friction, heat and wear that would only create contaminants.

Of course you have problems with "accumulation of particles" in the lubrication of a weapon, there's no filtration system. Thats the reason we clean them often.

okie

#254 ·
I was gifted an old Remington model 1100 12 guage shotgun and am cleaning it up. I am using this SBGO on it. I don't have any of the cool bottles that JLA has, so I thought I would just share an idea that I use on all my gun oils for applying them lightly, and exactly where you need it.

I use a thin punch and lightly dip it in the oil. After I dip it into the oil, I lightly wipe the punch onto the inside of the bottle until there is just a fine drop on the edge of the punch. Then I gently touch the drop that is left on the punch where I want the oil. When the oil touches the surface of the desried part that is to be oiled only a small fraction of oil will be applied to that part. This is a great way to control the flow of your oil without it running all over. It also keeps you from over-oiling your firearm.

I am excited to start using this SBGO and do intend on putting it through whatever testing that I can.

Sorry about the poor pic quality.

Attachments

#261 ·
I noticed several of you guys were wanting to create an environment that rust likes. If you want to put SBGO to the ultimate rust proofing test, then there is an easy way to create extreme rust in 24 hours. Just go to walmart and buy 1 lb of chlorine pool shock powder. Open the powder of Chlorine shock and pour it out onto a sheet of paper or into a plastic bowl. Set the Chlorine shock inside a cabinet along with the piece of steel you are using for the test. Be sure to close the cabinet door to keep the chlorine fumes inside with the metal. If not first treated with oil, the steel will be extremely rusted within 24 hours. After 10 days in the cabinet, the metal will be so rusted that it will be flaking and falling apart. Hoppes gun oil will not even protect the metal from rust for 24 hours. I know that from my own experience from owning a swimming pool equipment repair business for a few years. It would be quite impressive if SBGO could protect it in that kind of environment.

WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW ANY GUN OIL TO COME IN CONTACT WITH THE CHLORINE SHOCK. IT WILL CAUSE A CHEMICAL REACTION OVER MINUTES OR HOURS THAT WILL RESULT IN THE SHOCK EVENTUALLY BURSTING INTO FLAMES; JUST LIKE WHEN YOU POUR BRAKE FLUID ON CHLORINE SHOCK.

#262 ·
I forgot to mention the original point I was going to make in my post. SBGO works better than motor oil when lubing deck screws. If you are having a problem with the heads of deck screws stripping before you can get them screwed all the way in with your screw gun, then just put a few drops of SBGO on a piece of paper and roll your screws back and forth a couple of times in the oil before you use them. You will never have a stripped head again. Just don't push too hard on the screw gun, because SBGO makes them so slick that you can over drive them deeply into the wood if you are not careful.

#263 ·
Eggsilent idea charles! Now jihadis will go to hell if they walk on my porch. :D

#265 ·
I took a bottle on my last work rotation in a dusty place. If you use too much it will gather dust. So I used less than just a tiny dab and it gathered less. Used the entire bottle as directed. By far the best lube I have used on my own, and work weapons.

#266 ·
Here a WHILE back, I ordered a couple of bottles and notice it was different....lighter colored and a lot thinner! The color, no worries, but the lighter SBGO....I like it the way it was.

#267 ·
Everytime I've seen someone recommend motor oil for firearms its been recommending 100% synthetic (such as Mobil 1) which I believe are all NON detergent. If not, there are many non detergent motor oils available. I have in the past used Mobil 1 on my AR10s and they ran perfect with no adverse effects.
BTW, what finally happened on the shotgun barrel test? No mention of it since the first page of this thread and two other oils were working as good as the SBGO.
Its not the detergents, its the Extreme pressure addatives. To get enough in there they have to overbase the additive. Overbased additives in oil have polar bonds, so does water. Water bonds very quickly to these overbased pressure additives. In a closed system like a motor its not a huge issue, and any water that does get in is cooked off when operating temerature is reached.

Ive been testing this lube for a hot minute now and here is my long term observation.

Works best on weapons that see extreme use like fully automatic weapons and hunting weapons that see extreme use. I been testing Froglube aswell and it is a spectacular lube, but it dont mix well with oil so in an emergency situation you better make sure you packed some spare in a couple different places.

I will keep testing, internals on the Chicom Ithica 37 copy still has original application and its still there and working. New Maverick 88 got a good run through with it and as always a little goes a long way. In two years I will be back to let you all know how that first application is doing on this new test piece that will see nothing but silverbullet.

#268 ·
About two years ago, I bought a new STI Spartan 1911 in 9mm. I took the pistol out of the box, tore it down and cleaned out all the factory grease.
Then lubed the pistol with Silver Bullet Gun Oil and put it back together.

I would shoot the pistol, wipe down the outside and put it back in the safe. About every 2,000 rounds, I'd run a BoreSnake through the barrel. I finally had my first malfunction with the pistol at almost 9,000 rounds.
Yes, you read it right. 9,000 rounds before the first malfunction. A simple FTE. I guess the extractor finally got gummed up. It sure took a while.

Now before I would shoot the Spartan, I'd always look it over good but never tear it down. I'd always retract the slide and look at the SBGO shining in the slide ways. It was always there until the last day I shot it.

That was a tough test for a brand new, just out of the box 1911. Only oiled one time before firing then no more.

Well, it's time to clean so I removed the slide and ran my fingers over the slide rails. The slide wasn't dry !! There was still a hint of oil. I haven't stripped the internals out of the frame yet but nothing looked dry. I'm almost tempted to clean the extractor channel and shoot it some more.
But I won't.

As stated before, this is the best oil on the planet. It stays where you put it and a little goes a long way. I recommend Silver Bullet Gun Oil if you like to take care of your weapons. There's nothing like it anywhere.

MidniteRider, you have developed the best weapons oil that I've ever used and I've used it all. Thank you. :)

#269 ·
I just checked my chicom M37 copy the otherday shooter45, internal lube is still there. Its unreal. I lubed it up in late 2010, late october or early November.

Only gun I own that I do not realy use it on is the P22. That gun loves frog lube. I also fired a chit ton of corrosive 1895 Nagant ammo last october and never cleaned the bore, just put some silver bullet down the bore. Checked yesterday, stored in the full flap holster, no rust at all.

I will keep on testing it but as of right now it is the best lube and protecting oil I have used ever. The stuff is unreal.

#270 ·
OK, so I have to say a little something about this oil. A while back I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag old model 3 screw. It has a full action job and is sweet. I pulled the gun down and reassembled it with a nice thin film of the oil on the contact points internal parts. The gun cocks even nicer and is as smooth as butter. I then took my Vaquero 45 Colt down and did the same thing. The action on my Vaquero has always been top notch but when I put the SMGO on the internals it made a huge difference. The best part is this: I have not pulled the .44 down since I used the oil but I did pull the Vaquero down and the internals were nice and slick. I don't over oil my guns but the thin film that I had put on was still there and it was clean. This oil is good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.