Silver Bullet Gun Oil test..

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Boris, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

JLA , i put two peices of sheet metal together , one lot with a reputable brand and the other with SBGO , froze both for a day , the SBGO came apart no worries , the other did too... after a few taps , the more i play , the more i like it , only thing is it tastes bad

( i cut my finger on the sheet tapping the brand name one apart and so stuck the digit in my mouth , it had SBGO all over it )
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I dont shoot my guns enough to use a lot of the SBGO( I know, priorities and finances are a bummer though.....), so I am finding all kinds of uses for it. Some of my tools that have rusted a bit have gotten a dose, I cleaned up some of my broadheads and dosed them with it, and all kinds of stuff. Still loving this stuff.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use it to keep the blades on my carbon steel knives from rusting
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok got my bottle i use in in the barrel and everywhere just like the rem oil?
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Beth ,

Clean your guns as normal

2-4 drops of SBGO on a gents shaving brush ( chinese one 50 cents ) and run that over the action and parts you want oiled .. i quick wipe down to remove excess when it's reassembled and your done

if you use a pull through , a drop on the cloth for the last pull will generally oil the bore nicely

next time you clean and oil add only 2 drops .. the brush will hold some ..
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok Jack will do thanks
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey Beth

get two brushes , see if you can find traveling ones in junk shops and them $1 stores , they are smaller .. one dry for getting dust and grit out between break down cleanings mags , rounds of shooting etc , and your SBGO one

enjoy ..
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I got some more advice I don't think we talked about in this thread yet.

I been around some folks lately that love to use motor oil. It will lube in an emergency just fine but it should not be your go to lube.

Motor oils are 25% additives that are not oil. The detergent additives have polar and non polar ends to the molecule. Water will not attach to the oil, but it will attach to the detergents. What you get is separation and an oil water emulsion. The higher the quality of the oil the faster the detergents separate. It is not measured over a long period of time either. It is measured in the seconds.

Once the oil separates from the water these chemicals will get on your hands, clothes and body. We all know the chemicals in motor oil are not healthy and would not be good for prolonged contact with skin.

Motor oil is also designed for attracting dust dirt and anything that even gets near it adding to the separation problem.

Don't use motor oils on firearms folks. Its nothing but bad news for the firearm and even worse news for you if you come in contact with the separated additives.

Some good reads

http://reliabilityweb.com/index.php/articles/mixing_oil_and_water

http://www.maintenanceresources.com/referencelibrary/oilanalysis/oa-m.htm

http://www.ngv.com.my/default.asp?pageid=257&messageid=543&cac=0

Don't waste your time on motor oil. Use only the highest quality firearm lube you can get. Obviously I use SBGO. Been for a tad over a year now and nothing compares....
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I havent checked this thread out in a while, and some awesome info and
    input!
    What did you do Josh, buy all the bottles the guy had on ebay?:lmao2:
    (been a while back I see)

And the one's that Country posted on the link he had, looks to be
    pretty good and a good price.

Ive been having the problems with the original bottle's as well, leaking
    and etc. and have been looking for some other bottles to put the
    sbgo in.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I ordered me some of the 15cc sized bottles and just got'em.
    they work and good to have around in differnt places, range bag, shop and etc..they work real good!
  11. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Everytime I've seen someone recommend motor oil for firearms its been recommending 100% synthetic (such as Mobil 1) which I believe are all NON detergent. If not, there are many non detergent motor oils available. I have in the past used Mobil 1 on my AR10s and they ran perfect with no adverse effects.
    BTW, what finally happened on the shotgun barrel test? No mention of it since the first page of this thread and two other oils were working as good as the SBGO.
  12. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

Even if you use synthetic motor oils you still have problems with separation over time and the accumulation of particulates in the oil itself. Motor oil is designed to attract things like this and remove it from the machinery. It is meant to be run through a filtration system in order to remove those particulates from the moving parts and to lubricate but its first job is removal of foreign debris.

Just got my bottle of SBGO to try out and will give it an old school try compared to FrogLube and in conjunction with Dyna-Tek products.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  13. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Thats just simply not true. Oils are developed first and formost to lubricate, detergents and cleaners are added after (if at all) to help them carry contaminates to the filters. No reason for them to "remove dibris" if they cant first reduce friction, heat and wear that would only create contaminants.

Of course you have problems with "accumulation of particles" in the lubrication of a weapon, there's no filtration system. Thats the reason we clean them often.

okie
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was gifted an old Remington model 1100 12 guage shotgun and am cleaning it up. I am using this SBGO on it. I don't have any of the cool bottles that JLA has, so I thought I would just share an idea that I use on all my gun oils for applying them lightly, and exactly where you need it.

I use a thin punch and lightly dip it in the oil. After I dip it into the oil, I lightly wipe the punch onto the inside of the bottle until there is just a fine drop on the edge of the punch. Then I gently touch the drop that is left on the punch where I want the oil. When the oil touches the surface of the desried part that is to be oiled only a small fraction of oil will be applied to that part. This is a great way to control the flow of your oil without it running all over. It also keeps you from over-oiling your firearm.

I am excited to start using this SBGO and do intend on putting it through whatever testing that I can.

Sorry about the poor pic quality.

Attached Files:

15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no worries , i have a hypo with SBGO in it , did so for fishing reels ..