Simple Man Lyrics are worth a read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GunHugger, Aug 30, 2012.

1. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Some of you may have noticed Zane71464's signature that reads "Two Words; "Simple Man", song by Charlie Daniels sums up my thoughts on a "few things"!"

I heard the song a few times but wondered exactly what Charlie had to say so I looked it up. I agree Zane!

Simple Man by Charlie Daniels

I ain't nothin' but a simple man
    They call me a redneck I reckon that I am
    But there's things going on
    That make me mad down to the core.

I have to work like a dog to make ends meet
    There's crooked politicians and crime in the street
    And I'm madder'n hell and I ain't gonna take it no more.

We tell our kids to just say no
    Then some panty waist judge lets a drug dealer go
    Slaps him on the wrist and then he turns him back out on the town.

Now if I had my way with people sellin' dope
    I'd take a big tall tree and a short piece of rope
    I'd hang 'em up high and let 'em swing 'til the sun goes down

Well, you know what's wrong with the world today
    People done gone and put their Bible's away
    They're living by the law of the jungle not the law of the land
    The good book says it so I know it's the truth
    An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man.

Now I'm the kinda man that'd not harm a mouse
    But if I catch somebody breakin in my house
    I've got twelve gauge shotgun waiting on the other side

So don't go pushing me against my will
    I don't want to have to fight you but I dern sure will
    So if you don't want trouble then you'd better just pass me on by

As far as I'm concerned there ain't no excuse
    For the raping and the killing and the child abuse
    And I've got a way to put an end to all that mess

Just take them rascals out in the swamp
    Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump
    Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest

You know what's wrong with the world today
    People done gone and put their Bible's away
    They're living by the law of the jungle not the law of the land
    The Good Book says it so I know it's the truth
    An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a simple man
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

words to live by
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I have been to a few of his shows and always liked the guy. I actually met him and had him set with me and my wife at a Pittsburgh Steelers game back in the early '80's. He sang the National Anthem and was down on the field below us shaking all the Steelers hands as they went out to play (he was a Steeler fan at the time). I yelled down to him and he spoke back. I invited him up to watch the game not thinking he would, but he asked what section I was in and sure enough he came up and sat with us for the whole first half. He's just like anyone that I would call a friend, down to earth and honest. He's a Titans fan now but I don't hold that against him.:):)

He also had this to say about the election.

8/24/2012

Ideal

I realize that every election America has ever held has been important. There are always relevant issues, and policies that have needed to be instituted, altered or done away with altogether, critical course corrections for the nation's good or in some cases, survival.

Of all the elections I can remember observing and participating in over the past seven and a half decades, I speak in complete honesty when I say that the 2012 election is the most important and represents the most diverse and serious ramifications and consequences of them all.

In my mind the 2012 election goes far beyond mere political parties, left vs. right and even the obvious critical issues facing the nation. This election is about ideology, about whether America will get back on the horse she was bucked off of or stay on the ground and crawl toward being the impotent, pale and fainthearted, also ran, who lives a hand to mouth existence and doesn't really matter very much in the neighborhood where the bullies live. That's what this election is about.

I often marvel at the pundits in the media who proudly tout Obama's dismal job creation record, jobs that exist at government expense, that in many cases have cost the taxpayer seven million dollars apiece. That's what this election is about.

Our national debt is approaching sixteen trillion dollars and if Obama is elected will continue to grow until our credit card gets cancelled and our dollar becomes so devaluated that we lose our long held place as the accepted world trade currency and we have to buy currency from other nations to purchase oil and other imported goods.
    That's what this election is about.

Our military stands the chance of being underfunded, shrunk and weakened by a president who either doesn't understand or doesn't like them very much. That's what this election about.

Under Obama the entitlement class has grown to alarming proportions and threatens to become the most powerful voting block in America, casting their vote for whoever promises them the most, growing so large in numbers that sensible fiscal policy will never again be possible until this nation goes through the inevitable anarchy and chaos that accompanies the end of the party when the money runs out. That's what this election is about.

Eric Holder has proven to be inept, dishonest and partial in his administration of the law.
    America deserves to have the law upheld and applied equally regardless of race or politics. That's what this election is about.

In spite of having complete control of the White House, Congress and Senate his first two years in office, in spite of having a mandate and a license to do anything he wanted to fix the economy, in spite of being able to use presidential decree like a royal stamp, the best excuse for failure Obama can come up with is that it's all Bush's fault. He is not willing to face the American people and admit his impotence. That's what this election is about.

President Obama has gone around the world apologizing for the greatness and uniqueness of America; he stood by and did nothing when the people of Iran were in the streets trying to rid themselves of a cruel and repressive dictatorship. Obama is perceived as weak by the leaders of the world; therefore making America and American interests abroad vulnerable because they believe our president doesn't have the will or the know how to defend against them. That's what this election is about.

The 2012 election is about what kind of nation we want to live in, a country with a strong, modern military, a nation which projects a don't tread on me attitude and the ability to back it up, or an ill defended, weak and vulnerable place that cringes at it's own shadow every time it hears a saber rattle.

Do we want to be energy independent by drilling, racking and taking Canada up on the vast amounts the pipeline would provide or do we want to remain dependent on terrorist supporting nations who can slow down our economy on a whim?

Do we want to tax and regulate more and more businesses out of America or create a business friendly climate to being back the ones we've already lost?

Do we want to destroy the very best health care system in the world and place another sixth of our economy under government control?

It's about personal freedom, equal justice for all, fiscal stability, security, law and order,
    letting the private sector grow, creating jobs and fueling the American dream as it always has.

That's what this election is about.

Do I think that if Romney and Ryan win in November all will be peaches and cream? Far from it, but at least it's a chance to stop the bleeding.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops, and for our country.

God bless America

Charlie Daniels
  4. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

One of my favorite songs.
    I seen him perform about 15 years ago at a local county fair, best concert I have ever been to.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Mr. Daniels released "Simple Man" not long after I graduated from high school. I remember hanging out at the local pool hall playing it over and over on the old Wurlitzer they had there. I'm sure that vinyl had to be replaced several times.:)
    If you're up for a good read go to charliedanielsband.com and check out his soapbox, just as you would think, its his opinions on various subjects and there's a new one every week or so, plus all the old ones are archived. Hours of good 'ol boy logic I feel like most here can appreciate.:D
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Good words to live by. Most of his songs (or at least a lot) have some great meanings and logic.
  7. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

While I am not a "southern rock" fan, I find Mr Daniels a refreshing breath of air in the music industry. He's a decent guy, not afraid to speak his piece and a fine musician. And he doesn't tow the PC line one iota. I respect that.

I find it amusing that we are supposed to "respect" rappers who sing about drugs, killing and "hos" and a stand up guy like this is reviled for speaking his peace. Wonderful world we live in, no? Please note: that at no point in this paragraph did I use the word "music." Rap isn't music. Not by a long shot.:barf:
  8. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Active Member

I've always loved that song.
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I've been to a few Charlie Daniel's concerts and growing up playing music myself (local stuff) we played alot of his music.
    Playing it and learning the lyrics, word by word, a person can pick up on how an artist such as Charlie Daniels actually believes and puts his or her thoughts out there into a song.
    I dont know him personally but he and others sorta says it the way "it" is and dont think twice putting it out there. My kind of people.
    Another good one, IMO, is Earl Thomas Conely which I do know personally, or have over the early years....another "down to earth" kind of man. If asked, he wont mence words on where he stands.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

A good post GunHugger.