Simple Question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by TxBlackPowder, Jan 14, 2011.

1. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

How long does it usually take you to clean your BP pistol? Right now, its takng me about 45 min to an hour to clean mine. :cool:
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i use 777 loose powder,it takes me approx 15-20 minutes.i use very hot dishwasher detergent and replace the nipples with clean ones.i then soak the dirty ones in a solution of vinegar and water and clean and dry them the following day. old semperfi
  3. TxBlackPowder

TxBlackPowder New Member

Interesting. The guys at the range suggested windex to clean it. Seems to be working fine so far. I like the idea of using hot soapy water better. Might try that next time.

Thanks!
  4. imray

imray New Member

hot soapy water is best because hot water breaks down the acidic residue left after the explosion of the BP, the residue is extremely corrosive and the hotter the water the easier it breaks down, for cleaning, yo keep it from building up around the nipple end in they cylinder. you can clean with high percent alcohol after then dry with hair dryer and good synthetic oil. just my opinion, best wishes, ray
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Couple of minutes in the bathroom sink or in the shower with a bore brush and hot water. Then remove the grips and run through the dishwasher with the next load of dirty dishes. Us old guys adapt slow but we adapt, as long as you got the machine in your kitchen you might as well use it. :D

The rifle is different, mostly hose and cold water at outside tap but when I take a shower it goes in with me for a better cleaning. No matter how I wiggle it around I can't get it to fit in the dishwasher. :confused:
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    on my bp guns,any that i can easily remove stock i take to the car wash and use hot water and high pressure.i usually have a dirty vehicle when coming back from the range or hunting.old semperfi