Simson Suhl 16 gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RB Racing, Oct 24, 2009.

1. RB Racing

RB Racing New Member

Just inherited this gun not sure what it's worth. I don't think it's seen much use and needs a good cleaning haven't checked what year it is yet.
    Would like to get a handle of what it might be worth though.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I am having trouble seeing much detail in the photos; I don't know if its my monitor our your photos. In any case, you have a post-war Simson which was manufactured after the East German government took control of Simson & Company following WW-II. I can tell you more if you remove the barrels and take a good close-up photo of the markings located on the barrel flats. Value? $600 to $800 ... washer and dryer excluded.
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

Second one I ahve seeen today! On another forum is a pre-war high grade. Cocking indicators, ejectors, fine engraving, nice wood, etc. These are neat!
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  4. RB Racing

RB Racing New Member

Pics seem fine on my end. Once I figure out how to remove the barrels I'll take a couple more pics and post them see we can see what year it is.
    Thanks for your input.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just at the top of the second picture, there appears to be a brass plate inletted into the forearm. There should be a mechanism in that plate (usually a piece you lift) that will unlatch the forearm and allow you to remove it. Once the forearm is off, just open the gun and the barrels lift right off the receiver.
  6. RB Racing

RB Racing New Member

Here it is apart. Is it a 1970 version? Appears to be in great condition apart from needing a good detailing looks hardly used.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Hi RB,

For some reason your photos appear considerably clearer and sharper today. Perhaps I have a better Internet connection, or perhaps my glasses are cleaner. I can't say for sure.

I can say that your gun is a little nicer than I first thought. Being a 16 gauge with side clips and cocking indicators - and given its excellent condition - I suspect it is worth $1,200-1,500 retail. You can expect about $800-1,000 as a trade-in, and if it was mine, I would insure it for about $1,800.

Unfortunately, I still can't read the date code on the barrel flats for some reason. It looks like your code is three digits; you will find it just below the word NITRO. The first digit is the month and the last two are the year. It appears to me the last digit of the year is a 2. NOTE: Date codes are sometimes 4 digits - Nov 1985 would be marked 1185.

The serial number (of no value dating the gun) is 226519, and it is located on the barrel hook, water table and the underside of the forearm ... exactly as it should be.

The proof mark W (under a crown) indicate the barrels are choked rather than cylinder bore. German gun makers of that era did not indicate how much choke, however. That is something you will only determine through pattern testing. German shotguns are often very tightly choked (by US standards), and it is not unusual to find both barrels to be the same (such as full and full). It is perfectly safe to use modern shot shells, BUT NOT STEEL SHOT.

You have a very nice gun and it should be easy to sell if that is your intention. I would be interested, but I already have one.