Since 8mm Boxer Primed Brass Is Hard To Find...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gandog56, May 24, 2009.

1. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I converted some 30.06 brass to 8mm. Just ran it through a 8mm Mauser full length sizer die and trimmed the case length down to specs. Shot at 50 yards and iron sights on my K98. (The flyer was a 7.62X54R from sighting in a new scope on a Mosin Nagant)

[​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have often wondered if that would work. I just aint had the nuts to try it. Great work gan.;)
  3. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

The scary thing about doing this is that someone will get this ammo and seeing the headstamp, think it is 30-06 and shoot it in a 30-06.. You need to take precautions against that. I got a couple of hundred pieces of 8mm brass from Midway recently. This low volume stuff is run by the factory every now and then and will be scarce between runs. You can get e-mail notifications when they get it back in stock.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Unless its a real old and worn out .30-06 rifle the .30-06 headstamped 8mm mauser rounds will not chamber. Im sure you could prolly beat the bolt shut on one but by then Id hope someone would have the sense to realize somethin aint quite right...
  5. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Easy in my case, I don't own a 30.06. And I'm too scared of lawyers to let other people shoot my reloads. Just easier to find once fired brass for it.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There is a minor problem with this.

I used to make my 308 brass out of 30/06. Lots of ought six brass at the range. 308 brass cost money. No brainer. Then I bought an ought-three. Now I've got brass headstamped30/06 that won't fit my gun. So I believe I tossed all that.

I'm making 7mm Mauser out of 270 Winchester. Don't have a 270, and don't expect to get one. So I should be safe there. Making 9.3 x 57 out of 25/06. Bought some 9.3 once, and it turned out to be 8x57 that had been expanded. Since I have an 8, that brass will get sized back down. Don't want no complications.

As for the "someone will get this ammo and seeing the headstamp, think it is 30-06 and shoot it in a 30-06", I don't see that happening with someone with walking-about sense. You find a shell laying around, and you pick it up and shoot it in your gun? You care that little for your gun and your safety? Most reloaders will say, "I don't shoot other people's reloads". So, how do you know that the shell laying on the bench wasn't loaded by some idiot? That "factory-looking" 30/06 shell might be charged with 60 grains of Bullseye. I find ammo, occasionally. I pull the bullet, dump the powder and deprime it, then reload the brass. But I won't shoot it. I like my hands and eyes.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I need a new influx of 8x57 brass I just pick some up Here.

I need all of my .30-06 brass for.... well.... my .30-06. :)
  8. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I wouldn't, it's those other idiots I worry about.