Single Action Matching Colts possibly used in Movies

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tizz, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tizz

Tizz New Member

My grandfather has these. One is a 45, the other is a 38-40 with beautiful stag grips. My grandfather's cousin was friends with Wild Bill Elliott and we were told he received these guns from Wild Bill and used them to put on shows in parades in Graham, Texas - then later sold them to my Grandpa. Beautiful guns. Any idea what they history on these and what they are worth? Here are the serial numbers and photos:

Serials:
    45: 998xx
    38: 1980xx

Attached Files:

• 452.jpg
      452.jpg
      File size:
      424.6 KB
      Views:
    • 451.jpg
      451.jpg
      File size:
      471.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. reinhard

reinhard Member

Re: Single Action Matching Colts used by Wild Bill Elliott

it looks like the colt's are refinished ,I can't see any patent dates or horse
    sharp pictures would be great,nice story on the guns, try to get your colt's letterd , I like them and I would love to own them;)
  3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Thanks. What do you mean by letterd? Can't we tell from the serial numbers? I believe the grips are sambar stags.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If they were, in fact, used in movies or by a western star, then they would almost certainly be refinished. Take an old Colt, that cost 5 bucks at the pawn shop and slap a cheap chrome finish on it, and voila, you have instant snazzy good-guy gun. Might even saw the end off if it's too long. Lone Ranger's guns were cut-down 7 1/2"s. No front sights. Bat Masterson's (Gene Barry) gun was also chopped, chromed and given a set of crappy plastic "stag" grips.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

For a price, Colt will research your gun and tell you when it left the factory, and how it left the factory - barrel length, finish, grips, any special features. And they'll tell you where it went. It might just be "one of seven sent to Joe's Hardware", but in those days of mail order guns, they might have been sent directly to Wild Bill. Although, with the 45 being made in 1884 and the 38 being made in 1901, I doubt they were sent to him.
  6. Tizz

Tizz New Member

This is what I'd like to do, can you point me in the right direction to get this started? Thanks.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Factory Letters for Colt Firearms: Colt's Manufacturing Co. Inc., PO Box 1868, Hartford, Connecticut 06144-1868 Phone: 1 (800) 962-2658 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1 (800) 962-2658***Historical Department. Kathy Hoyt
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. Tizz

Tizz New Member

The patent dates are there, and on the top of the Barrel it says Colt, Hartford Connecticut.
  9. popgun

popgun New Member

Well Wild Bill Elliott did use chrome six guns with stag grips. He wore Dbl holsters turned backwards. It was his signature look.