single shot 12 gauge serial number A191233

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cragh514, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cragh514

cragh514 New Member

A friend of mine brought an old 12 gauge over today and was trying to figure out how much it might be worth. It has no manufacturer name, or date. The serials match throughout and i was hoping to find something to compare it to online. The closest match i was able to pull up was a Harrington and Richardson 12 gauge from 1940. The reason i came to this conclusion is the serial is A191233. Out of all the pages i pulled up, they were the only ones to use the "A" as a prefix, which gave me the 1940 mfg. date. The blueing is practically gone, the barrel is 30'' from sights to where it breaks down and the stock looks original. Ive put a couple pictures up with this in the hopes someone may have a more definate answer than mine was! I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this, and who might reply. Any help i can get would be great. Thanks so much.:
    0327101222.jpg

0327101222a.jpg
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

In the condition as shown and from the description, Maybe 25 dollars. Sorry about that.
  3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

RJay's about right on that value. Looks to be an old Stevens. You know, you could have fun with that one. I bought one years back that was missing the fore-end wood. I save all my old military walnut stocks, and it came in handy to carve one for that Stevens. Take your time and it isn't all that hard to do.

This all is assuming that the action is fairly tight and the bore looks half way decent. That could make you a good 'knock about' shotgun. Have fun with it!
  4. cragh514

cragh514 New Member

No need to be sorry. I'm just grateful for the information. Kind of a pain to locate something this vague online. Do you think I may be relatively close on my guess as to the maker and year of mfg?
  5. cragh514

cragh514 New Member

The weapon fires straight, and youre right. It is fun to shoot.
  6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Cragh514 - my two cents worth is that it sure looks like a Stevens to me. Yup, I'd guess 1930s thru early 1950s. Gunparts Corp (Numrich in West Hurley, New York) should have parts if you need them.