Single shot percussion pistol identification

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by NeonKnight, Jul 22, 2009.

1. NeonKnight

NeonKnight New Member

This is an old black powder single shot percussion pistol my father had locked away. I am unsure about it's history but if i remember right its been in the family for some time. I remember seeing it as a little kid, as well as an old revolver which i dont know where it went.

It currently is at my sisters house locked in her gun cabinet as i do not have a place to safely leave it.

Can anyone give me any information on it? The only identifying information is a serial number on the bottom of the brass in front of the trigger but right before the barrel. The barrel is also riffled.

Here is a link to a picture that looks exactly like it:

http://www.neaca.com/images/Pair_of_Percussion_Pistols_.JPG (in this picture it is the one on top)

http://www.neaca.com/images/Unmarked_Single_Shot_percussion_pistol_.JPG

Please any information would help!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Noen, Your inqury is likely to be moved to either the TQ&A forum or the black powder shooting forum. Someone will be able to help you out.
  3. Twaits

Twaits Member

This is a Classic Arms pistol. They have been making these since the '70s
    maybe '60s. You can still buy the kits through Dixie Gun Works to build them.
    I had two of their pepperbox pistols when I was a kid.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=868
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Wow. My investment doubled. :D Only took 27 years. I paid 45 dollars for my Classic Arms Ace, at Kmart, in 1982. Of course, both mine and the one at Dixie are smoothbore. Poster's is rifled. That cost 5 bucks more.
  5. peteropro

peteropro New Member

I actually have one also and dont know much about it was wondering if you found out anymore information on it
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I remember them both as kit guns and the triple barrel model you could get too.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

What more do you need to know?. It is not an antique but a modern inexpensive reproduction of a percussion firearm. The above posters pretty well summed everything up.:)
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The reproducers didn't pull the idea out of the air, and there are antique pistols of that general design, but the clue that the OP's gun is a replica is the serial number. True antiques of that type almost never had a number; they were inexpensive guns and numbering cost money. Further, a serial number without a manufacturer's name would have been meaningless.

BUT, current law requires that replicas and reproductions have a serial number for import purposes, so the makers put on a number. Also meaningless, but it complies with the law. So an "antique" with a serial number and no maker's name is a replica or repro as noted by the others.

The value is likely around $50 as a novelty.

Jim
  9. Firedrop

Firedrop New Member