1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Single shot percussion pistol identification

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by NeonKnight, Jul 22, 2009.

1. NeonKnight

NeonKnight New Member

This is an old black powder single shot percussion pistol my father had locked away. I am unsure about it's history but if i remember right its been in the family for some time. I remember seeing it as a little kid, as well as an old revolver which i dont know where it went.

It currently is at my sisters house locked in her gun cabinet as i do not have a place to safely leave it.

Can anyone give me any information on it? The only identifying information is a serial number on the bottom of the brass in front of the trigger but right before the barrel. The barrel is also riffled.

Here is a link to a picture that looks exactly like it:

http://www.neaca.com/images/Pair_of_Percussion_Pistols_.JPG (in this picture it is the one on top)

http://www.neaca.com/images/Unmarked_Single_Shot_percussion_pistol_.JPG

Please any information would help!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Noen, Your inqury is likely to be moved to either the TQ&A forum or the black powder shooting forum. Someone will be able to help you out.
  3. Twaits

Twaits Member

This is a Classic Arms pistol. They have been making these since the '70s
    maybe '60s. You can still buy the kits through Dixie Gun Works to build them.
    I had two of their pepperbox pistols when I was a kid.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=868
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Wow. My investment doubled. :D Only took 27 years. I paid 45 dollars for my Classic Arms Ace, at Kmart, in 1982. Of course, both mine and the one at Dixie are smoothbore. Poster's is rifled. That cost 5 bucks more.
  5. peteropro

peteropro New Member

I actually have one also and dont know much about it was wondering if you found out anymore information on it
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I remember them both as kit guns and the triple barrel model you could get too.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

What more do you need to know?. It is not an antique but a modern inexpensive reproduction of a percussion firearm. The above posters pretty well summed everything up.:)
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The reproducers didn't pull the idea out of the air, and there are antique pistols of that general design, but the clue that the OP's gun is a replica is the serial number. True antiques of that type almost never had a number; they were inexpensive guns and numbering cost money. Further, a serial number without a manufacturer's name would have been meaningless.

BUT, current law requires that replicas and reproductions have a serial number for import purposes, so the makers put on a number. Also meaningless, but it complies with the law. So an "antique" with a serial number and no maker's name is a replica or repro as noted by the others.

The value is likely around $50 as a novelty.

Jim
  9. Firedrop

Firedrop New Member