single shot shotguns

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JasonS, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Would love to see pics of your young or old single shots.

I haven't got one yet but it must be the simplicity and just how good it feels to shoulder and aim or something that makes me love them.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok everyone where are the single shots
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I only have one single shot, shotgun and it isn't much to brag about but has a unique history. It is a Springfield 20 ga. Years back when the city didn't equip the cruisers with shotguns one of the officers obtained this old Springfield and had the barrel chopped to 18 inches plus and did a home brew refinish. He carried it in the cruiser and during the lonely dull stretches of third shift he would carve on the stock. When they finally equipped the cars with shotguns he didn't want it any more so I bought it off him for $35 just because it was unique.

Attached Files:

4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

$35.00 wow its beautiful have u shot it
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yea I did Beth but it isn't good for much other than blowing up gallon water jugs at close range, ha.
  6. bobski

bobski Former Guest

ljutic dynotec 34" trap gun.
    sold it a few years ago.
    looking for another one to replace the void in the cabinet.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

:lmao: Bob posting that beauty after I posted my old clunker is sort of like the beauty and the beast. That is one hansom shotgun.
  8. Old John

Old John New Member

Yeah, I grew up with single barrel guns. And,I have two old single barrels. One is a 16 ga. that was the first gun I rabbit hunted with at about 11 years old. It is an Essex. The barrel has always had big old dings in it. And It doesn't have much choke to it. It throws a wide pattern. My Old Dad gave it to me, before he passed away.It was his first shotgun, when he was 16 years old. And, I'm 72 years old now.
    I'm glad to have it. It's a good light gun to carry, just walking the fields. The trouble with single barrels is that they are a lot lighter than a pump gun. So, you feel the recoil a lot more than on the heavier pumps or semi-autos, especially with high brass loads.

I have a NEF 12 ga. that I bought from a guy at work about 30 years ago, because he needed the money. I've carried it some, walking the hills, out here, on our place.
    I have several other shotguns, pumps & doubles, that I've accumulated over the years, all 12's.
  9. bobski

bobski Former Guest

ive shot more stevens crackshots than i care to remember.
    my favorite, (no pic available today,) was an FIE 410 hammerless. hard to open because it cocked as you did, but boy oh boy...i taught many a girl and young boys on it.
  10. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Here`s my old H&R 24 gauge next to my Marlin 795. The 24 is a sweet little thing, 24 inch barrel, and about 60 years ago, when 24 gauge shells were hard to find, the breech was reamed to take a 20 gauge shell. Just a little extra recoil but it`s an awesome rabbit gun. I uploaded a pic, hope it works.

Attached Files:

• 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      176.9 KB
      Views:
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

very nice
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had one years ago and really didn't miss it much when it was stolen. It kicked so hard I didn't use it much.
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I loved mine except the barrel was shorter.
  14. JasonS

JasonS New Member

great guns guys I just love em. The carved one is my favorite. I would like the longer barrel but I love it either way, pure character. Love them all though, more please.
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I used to have a Savage single shot 12 ga., breech action with changeable barrels. The other barrel was a .22 hornet. It didn't even have a recoil pad on the wooden stock. A day in the woods netted a black and blue shoulder & a freezer full of pigeons.
    When I moved to FL. My gun safe got splashed with snow melt in a winter storm that stranded us in a motel in the middle of no where for 3 days. Even though my rifles and shot guns were wrapped and cushioned in blankets, they all rusted from the road salt. I sold them all for less than what I could have gotten for one had they not been rusted. Among them were a Remington 870 & 1100, both of which were commemorative models 1776-1976 with trap & skeet barrels, my Savage and an Italian side by side. It still makes me sick to think about it.
  16. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After seeing what you guys have mine looks pretty bad, but I love it. I paid about $20.00 for it about 20 years ago. It is an old Stevens 12 guage. I took it to a gunsmith and had a new extractor put in and it was good to go. It is sawed off but legal. Bobski and Todd, don't be laughing at my piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  17. mranum

mranum Member

What I have aint worth much but they are fun to shoot and cheap to buy too.

The first is a Westernfield(Monkey Wards) made by Savage in 20ga with a full choke and the latter is a H&R Topper Jr. in .410.

Attached Files:

18. savage170

savage170 Member

Use to have a bunch of them till I got on my lever gun collecting fad that I'm now on. Had to sell a bunch to make room in the safes kept this old FIE it was my first 12 ga.

[​IMG]
  19. JasonS

JasonS New Member

love em all guys
  20. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i hve a few.. the only one I rally use / used is a NEF 12g I carried it as a emergncy truck gun for years.. mostly turned out to be a snake gun when fishing or tending my farm animals.. replaced it with a beater autoloader that was actually cheaper than the SS SG :)