single shot shotguns

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JasonS, Jun 27, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After seeing what you guys have mine looks pretty bad, but I love it. I paid about $20.00 for it about 20 years ago. It is an old Stevens 12 guage. I took it to a gunsmith and had a new extractor put in and it was good to go. It is sawed off but legal. Bobski and Todd, don't be laughing at my piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. mranum

mranum Member

What I have aint worth much but they are fun to shoot and cheap to buy too.

The first is a Westernfield(Monkey Wards) made by Savage in 20ga with a full choke and the latter is a H&R Topper Jr. in .410.

Attached Files:

3. savage170

savage170 Member

Use to have a bunch of them till I got on my lever gun collecting fad that I'm now on. Had to sell a bunch to make room in the safes kept this old FIE it was my first 12 ga.

[​IMG]
  4. JasonS

JasonS New Member

love em all guys
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i hve a few.. the only one I rally use / used is a NEF 12g I carried it as a emergncy truck gun for years.. mostly turned out to be a snake gun when fishing or tending my farm animals.. replaced it with a beater autoloader that was actually cheaper than the SS SG :)
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I know this thread is couple of years old, but still I wanted to post up some thoughts/memories on single barreled shotguns. So I revived it. I got my first one when I was 12, a Long Tom, 12 gauge. Traded it for a pump, a Winchester 1897, wish I still had that Winchester! I guess I've killed just about everything that can be killed with a shotgun in Louisiana, where I grew up, everything from squirrel to deer. I've fired shot, slugs, and Buck thru one at one time or another. Hunting any kind of game tends to lead one to learn how to reload in hurry. My method was to have two extra shells between the fingers of my left hand, and the gun never left my shoulder when reloading. I've attached a video that I really like on single shot shotguns. And for those of you have shorty's with 18" barrels, try shooting some slugs in them, you just might be surprised!

7. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Thanks for reviving the thread carver, great read, and video, but I'm still not going to trade in my home defense 870 for a single shot.;)
  8. carver

carver Moderator

Nor should you! I just have a lot of respect, and love, for a good single barreled shotgun! :D
    joe45c likes this.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Since this thread I have purchased this BT-99 Browning.

upload_2014-11-3_16-28-56.png
  10. carver

carver Moderator

The Cadillac of singles!
  11. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Here's a 20 gauge H&R single shot.I don't hunt with it I just bought it on a whim to mess around blasting stuff I guess.I like the Remington 870 pump a little more but single shots are fun too! I pretty much like all guns.A buddy bought a machine to launch clay's with at Wally.They are harder to hit with the 20 gauge and just one shot.

04-22-2012 07;02;10PM.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i love clays on 20g.. but use a browning. i agree.. hitting single makes you really concentrate!
  13. carver

carver Moderator

I don't shoot clays. I guess it's the way I grew up. Fire a round, put meat on the table. Can't eat clay birds!
  14. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Carver, they aren't too bad with strong teeth, and the right amount of seasoning.;)
  15. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Yup, Carver, I've tried cookin' them many ways, but those clay birds are always either too mushy or too chewy. I've got an OLD pre-Stevens "Mass. Arms Co". 12 gauge single with a 30" "choke barrel". She was pretty rusty when I got it for about $25, and the barrel is a tad pitted, but it is a wonderful old shotgun. I did a home refinish on the wood and metal. It goes out with me on bad weather nights when the wife's dog needs to commune with nature. I'll post pictures whenever I learn how to, or maybe get the wife to do it.