single shot vs bolt action

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, Nov 29, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have been looking at a h&r handi rifle in 308 or a stevens 200 in 308 I haven't made my mind up yet.
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

some people love the handi rifle but my buddy had one and it was awful. the .308 never ejected shells, the 270 never matched up, and he never even tried the muzzle loader barrel. The 270 was sent back to the manufacturer 2 times and still never worked correctly. i would get the stevens from my experiance however i know people that do love the handi rifle if they get one that works correctly. last thing you always get what you pay for.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I have both and won't say a thing against either. There isn't a gun manufacturer out there that doesn't have a stinker or three come off the line.

All I know is that the most accurate and least expensive centerfire rifle I own is my .308 H&R model SB2 Handi-Rifle. At 600 yards and over I'd prefer the 7MM Rem Mag or 300 Wby but out to 300 yards Its a 10 shot 1 hole gun even with that short 22" barrel.

The other guns are good for the first 3 shots then start opening up, the H&R just keeps shooting consistently into a golf ball size group. My vote based on my experience with my guns is if I had to do it again I would have saved the money spent on the Wby and bought more H&R's with spare barrels in other calibers.