Single stage press...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GMFWoodchuck, Feb 5, 2009.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I do not know which one to get. The Lyman, Redding, RCBS, or the Hornady. They are all in the 110-120 dollar range. Seems like it doesn't really matter on which I get. All are cast iron, accept standard dies, good quality, etc. Maybe I'll just go for the one that happens to be in stock. Any thoughts?
  2. gau17

gau17 New Member

I was in the same boat a few months back. I ended up buying the Lee classic press. Don't be fooled by the price. It is very solid! What are you going to be reloading?
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. army mp

army mp Member

I have used a Pacific c-type press for 40 years,on Rifle and pistol, and found another on e-bay and set it up as an extra, E-bay is anti-gun but you can still get a pretty good price on a press
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

GMF - I agree totally with gau17, I have been using Lee press for 35 years. At the LEE website you can get the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit for $137 which pretty much includes everything you need except the dies. You can probably find it cheaper at some other places such as Midway USA.
  5. gau17

gau17 New Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=317831

Best 80.00 you will ever spend. Use the money saved on other items.

Are you new to reloading or are you starting back up again?

I just started this new hobby a few months back. If you are new, most people here will advise you to pick up some books and read until you are tired of looking at them. Take the advice. Everyone here is very helpfull. When in doubt ask questions here or at another forum. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with your purchase. you can't really go wrong with any of them. Just a preference (GM or Ford).
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

I picked up the Lee Anniv kit at Cabelas early last month and like it a lot. I have reloaded about 400 rounds on it so far in .380/9mm/45ACP.

I confess that I have also just ordered the Lee Classic turret from FactorySales to get just a bit more rounds per hour and eliminate the constant die changes/setups.

You would not go wrong getting either setup as a rookie like me. Now that I have seen how EZ it is to reload safe ammo, I should have just popped for the turret up front instead of the single stage. I have no need for the round count available from a progressive press.

With the Lee breech lock single stage I reload "about" 40-50 rounds per hour, the turret will put me in the 100-200 rounds per hour capability.

potayto-potahto
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I picked up all the final stuff today to start setting up and using my Dillon RL550B progressive press. I will say that my little single stage Lee press will still be used quite a bit.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

GMFWoodchuck:

While a single stage press may sound OK now before you start reloading, after you have done it for awhile you will wished you stepped up to a faster process. At least that is my experience. The least expensive way to get some level of faster reloading is a turret press. It offers all the features of a single stage press but is about two to three times faster to use.

A single stage press has to be set up for each operation and used for one at a time. That means for sizing you install the sizing die and size all the cases. Then you tear that down and set up for belling the cases and maybe powder through the belling die (pistols and for rifles a manual loading of all the cases directly from the powder measure). You tear that down and set up the press for bullet seating. If you are going to use a seperate crimping operation you have to tear that down and set up for crimping all the cases. Each time for each stage of the process you have to place the case on the shell holder and remove it.

A turret press allows you to set up all three dies (or four). You put the case in the shell holder and first size it, twist the turret to the next position and bell (and deliver the powder through the die), twist the turret to the next position and seat the bullet (and crimp there or add another die to the turret and crimp in the next position). You only put the case on the press one time and you finish one cartridge at a time. One advantage is that you can stop at any time and pick it up the next day without having a bunch of cases with powder in them and no bullets, that can spill or get contaminated.

Of course the ultimate time saver is progressive reloading where each pull of the press handle delivers a finished cartridge because the table has the equivalent of four or more shell holders, each loaded with a case, each in one of the stages of reloading. But such presses can be used as a single stage or a turret press IF they don't have auto advancement of the table.

For a turret press I like the Lyman or for progressive I like the Dillon RL550B. Some like Lee stuff but through my experiences I don't. Often their designs are good even revolutionary but their materials choices always seem to leave them with equipment that doesn't last like RCBS, Lyman , Hornady, Forester, Redding, and the others. But others may differ with that opinion but I stand by it based on personal experience.

Just food for thought.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

As usual, LD is correct. However, your single stage press will always be useful as a dedicated press for priming or bullet sizing. Your initial investment won't be lost should you decide to upgrade in the future.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, It pretty much doesn't matter what color paint is on the press...any of the cast-iron frame presses will treat ya right.

Myself I still use a rather old RCBS Reloader Special. If I ever have to replace it, I'd get whatever brand was on sale when I was shopping.
  11. army mp

army mp Member

alot has to do with what you are loading, granted I have always had a single stag. I know a guy who has a Dillon it worked great for pistol. but he could not do Rifle on it,
    so he went out and got a Hornady lock and load. this two is great if loading new brass. Pistol I set my Hornady powder dump close and spot check loads, Rifle I weigh every load, I aso mike my cases after I size and trime to uniform OAL. But its all about how close you want the Load and how much money you want to put out. Lee shell holders about $3.00 Hornady shell plate, if you can find them. $30.00
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

army mp said:
    "I know a guy who has a Dillon it worked great for pistol. but he could not do Rifle on it,"

Well, you have to have the right Dillon press. If it is the Square Deal then you are right but you are wrong if it is the RL550B, like I have, on which I reload for at least 18 different rifle cartridges from 22 Hornet to 7mm Rem Mag all the way to 45-70, and everything in between (270, 308, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 22-250, 223, 243, 300 SAV, 30-40Krag, 348 Win, 30-30, 7.62 x54R, 8mm Mauser, and many more). I have used this press for over 20 years on all these rifle cartridges as well as a bunch of pistol calibers from 32-20 to 45Long Colt. All are loaded fully progressively!! There are few limits if you have a Dillon RL550B (can't do 50BMG).

LDBennett
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Thanks. I might go with the RCBS Rock Chucker because there are upgrades (piggy-back) availible for it. I haven't seen any for the others. Although, the more I think about it I'm half thinking about getting two of the Lees and have one set for the first die and the other for the second die. No changing. But I like the life-time garantees by the other makers. Damnit, so many choices. Or maybe I'll do like Bindernut says, buy the color I like....Crap, I'm color-blind....

On a more serious note, how good is that lock-n-load thing on the Hornady Lock-n-load classic. I might go with that because of the coupon offers they have. I don't know....Next week one way or the other I'm ordering one of them.
  15. army mp

army mp Member

Hornady makes a good press. I do not know if they still have the bullet deal. I would check there web Sight first. some times you can get a good deal on e-bay