Single versus progressive

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Nov 16, 2009.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Hey, I get it. Progressive is faster, but what if I don't care about that? I mean, c'mon folks let's slow down. We're rushin' around for T-Giving turkey deals, Christmas gifts, work - if we've got it, kids, loving our spouses. Isn't it time we cut out some stuff and enjoy just taking it easy? I talked to a buddy that works for a nice gun store here in town and he told me he's been using his granddaddy's RCBS RockCrusher since he was a kid and his wife and him love going downstairs in the garage to reload when the kids are in bed safe and sound and just enjoy each other's company. They make it a little date where they can slow down with a remedial task and chill. Heck, he even told me she thinks its soothing and pops out 200-300 rounds some days before he gets home. Folks, enjoy the press you have but lets all just chill and slow down this Christmas season.
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I agree and I am using the Rockchucker that my father had. Works fine and handles all my metallic ammo needs. I like it because I feel (my opinion) it's safer for me to use as well. I also load shotshell with a single stage and they always go bang. I bring 1,500 to 2,000 skeet loads with me to Texas for the winter as we shoot skeet in the RV Park we stay at. Got to love Texas. I load them during the summer in NH. I used to bring a reloader with me but decided to bring them all with me this year.
  3. res45

res45 Member

I load for 7 different firearms on an old Lyman single stage press I've had for 25 years. I guess if I shot a couple K of ammo a month a progressive would be in order but in my case it's not necessary.

I enjoy my bench time and the whole loading process,it's a hobby speed is not one of my concerns.
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

We are doing just that. Shopping started last month and is about half way done. It will finish in about two weeks. Tonight was a great example of slowing down. I was taking my time cooking dinner over the last hour (prep time) when my son sat down at the dinner table and we had a really great discussion about this, that and the other thing.

We all have things to be thankful for. Every one of us. Life is so great it is staggering. I am in constant awe......I am not going to be one of those who makes myself so busy that life flies by and, sometime in the future, I realize I forgot to enjoy the small things (children are a fine example of such). I have a friend who spent so much time working and playing he forgot to watch their family grow up. It is something he regrets. Not me......

Excellent topic. K+ to ya WCF
  5. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

I'm looking forward to bolting down my RockCrusher, grabbing a few Cokes and enjoying a quiet evening at home with my wife. My 9MM buddies already jab me about only 7 rounds in my 1911, what's a few others talking about pumping out a bunch more rounds/hour than on their press? Oh well, I'm not in a hurry and am looking forward to beginning my reloading for the first time.

You guys are great. Thanks for the info and funny comments. Keep 'em coming.
  6. henry77

henry77 New Member

I also still use my Rockchucker. After nearly 40 years of use, it still does its job.

Yes, it would be nice to have a progressive, but at the moment, I had rather put the money in more bullets, primers and powder.
  7. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

My 1 & only press is a Rockchucker. I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting & can understand why folks buy & use progressives, but I'd bet a $ to a doughnut that progresive owners look @ reloading more as a chore than a pleasure.

I'm like Wildcatfan in that I believe folks should slow down a little & enjoy life more. Maybe it would be a nicer place to live.

Btw - After making up something like 10K rds total in 10 different calibers, I've not had 1 squib or kaboom (knock on wood! :rolleyes:) loading ever so slowly on my single stage. ;)

SR :)
  8. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Haven't done any reloading. Been thinking about the same question. I'm thinking that long winter evenings were made for reloading. And I can be a lot more careful and reliable doing the same thing over and over, then going to the next thing and doing that over and over. If I have to pay attention to six things going on at once, I'll miss something. And I'm the sort of person who would be compelled to pay attention to all the processes simultaneously.

When I was a kid and had to stay after school (back when kids walked to and from school, at least those who weren't rich enough to afford their own dinosaurs), I always had to write pages and pages of something like, "I will not pull Teacher's skirt up in class.", I would always do a column of "I" then (skipping the space) a column of "w", then a column of "i", etc. Seemed to me that was the easiest and best way to do it.

I think reloading's the same.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Reloading is a enjoyable chore to me and I do it to allow me to shoot more. I reload for over 30 different cartridges and keep large supplies of each different caliber and in some case for different guns of the same caliber. It makes no sense to me to repeat the process of putting the case into the the press multiple times when all you really have to do on a progressive is to put the case in once and rotate the table to the next position to do the next process. If it were twice as fast on a progressive press then it might be a wash for me (single vs progressive) but it is at least three or more times faster which means I can get more product in a lot less time. Pursuing other more enjoyable things (fill in the blank as to what that might be) for me is a better way to use the time gained.

Beside, with my Dillon 550B it is multiple presses: a single stage, a turret, or a progressive. And I use it all three ways. It is easy on the 550B BECAUSE the press does NOT have auto table rotation. I will not ever own a progressive with auto table rotation as that makes it less versatile. I have owned one and quickly got rid of it.

I would rather use my time to do things that are not a chore (reloading , while enjoyable to me, is still a chore, and if I were rich I'd buy all my ammo). But we all get to choose.

LDBennett
  10. Waldog

Waldog Member

How about a compromise! Look at a Turret press. I have a Rockchucker but, a new Lyman turret or Redding T-7 Turret would be nice while loading rifle cartridges.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  11. RandyP

RandyP Member

Like many hobbies, reloading offers a way to particpate at all levels of interest, need and budget. From the $20 Lee whack-it-with-a-hammer to the 4 figure full boat with all the toys Dillon 1050. ammo manufacturing center.

I split the difference between the two choices and find the Lee Turret more than ample to my needs.
  12. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I am a big fan of the lee breech lock, have made many many rounds one at a time, and for me its just more enjoyable. at an average I can knock out 300 a night, times that by 5 nights a week and I have more than enough for a weekend of plinking. I only have to make a few rounds each year for my deer rifles so for me a prog. press investment really doesnt make $ sense.Altogether I have less than 400 in my equipment and that was spread out over a few years so I dont think I have done too badly.
  13. mikld

mikld Active Member

Handloading is one of my hobbies. I enjoy assembling ammo custom made for one of my firearms. I don't have any quotas to meet nor do I need to load 5,00 rounds at a time. If I were in a hurry, or if I had to load up a thousand every time I sat down at my press, maybe I'd get a progressive (or just buy some ammo). But I prefer Quality over Quantity!
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup...don't count out a turret press (or other manual-operated multi-station press).

Most of my reloading is rifle cartridges (done 20-50 rounds in a batch) and I'm a bit anal about scaling each powder charge for em so I usually stick with my single-station RCBS ReloaderSpecial for my rifle ammo.
    For my handgun ammo (usually 100-200 rounds per batch), I usually use a powder measure and only scale every 20th charge or so. For that stuff I break out my old C-H 3-station "H" press so I don't need to spend as much time swapping dies.

If I did any higher volumes I'd probably look at a progressive but that old C-H reloaded quite a bit of pistol ammo when I was doing the plate shooting thing about 15 years ago and it fit my budget too (which was mostly tied up in the guns instead of the reloading setup).

It's just like the old ford vs Chevy vs Lincoln vs Caddy debate. Each one is good enough to get the job done...all depends how many options you need or want on your setup. Everyone has different tastes/requirements.
    (and if the budget allows, you can always have more than one sitting on your reloading bench too :))
  15. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I really believe the spirit of this thread wasn't which press is better or worse....

JMHO

SR :)