The Firearms Forum banner

Sirloin tip roast

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  45nut 
#1 ·
Cleaning out the last of my 1/2 cow and came across a 5lb sirloin tip roast and I wonder if anyone has a good recipe for it. I don't have a smoker, but am open to any other means of getting a juicy, tender piece of meat for the tribe. Any and all info appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
Chris,
If I were to cook it, I would get some Cavenders all purpose Greek seasoning and rub it down with this the night before. Sirloin is a fairly tender cut on its own, so stay away from any tenderizers as they have salt, and the Cavenders has this already. Brown it on all sides in a cast iron dutch oven pan, med high heat, with some olive oil in the bottom, (a couple of tablespoons.) Cover and put in a 300 deg. oven until the internal temp is around 150 deg, remove from the oven and let it stand for 15 min. If you want gravy or a pan sauce,:) remove meat, wrap in foil and deglaze the pan with your fav. liquid or water. (scrape up the "bits" on the bottom of the pan) In a small bowl mix 1 tablespoon corn starch with 1/4 cup COLD water, add to the pan, and bring to a boil. It will thicken up nicely. My "tribe" (2 picky eaters) loves the Cavenders seasoning,;) and would gobble this up! Hope this helps, Kirk

#3 · (Edited)
If I hadn't been to the oral surgeon at VA this morning....this is what I'd do.

In your biggest crock pot, fill about 1/3 full of water.
add a big table spoon of minced garlic (fer yer heart :D)
Put roast in and cook on Hi for about 4 hours.

Then quarter a bunch of new potatoes.
add 1/2 bag of baby carrots.
cut 1/2 stalk of celery in to inch pieces.
add chopped onions, the more the better

add all vegies to the crock pot & cook for another 2-3 hours

or until carrots/celery/potatoes are soft, not mushy.

Mix 4 tble. spoons of olive oil with 2 tble. spoons of Cilantro paste.

Remove roast in one piece & put on a piece of foil.

Brush the olive oil/Cilantro mixture on the top of roast.

Put roast in oven and broil until top is bubbling & brown.

Drain vegies into bowl, slice roast and make a pig out of yer self.....:D

#4 ·
INGREDIENTS
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 1/4 cups water
5 1/2 pounds pot roast
Minced garlic to taste
Sliced mushrooms (can you ever have too many?)
Diced new potatoes

DIRECTIONS
In a crock pot, mix all ingredients...
Cook on High setting for an hour to an hour and a half, then reduce heat for 8 more hours or until meat is falling apart.

Thank me later. :D

Crpdeth

#5 ·
If you use a crock pot on a sirloin tip roast, you will have stringed beef afterwords. Just put it in the oven at 325 degrees and cook til the insides read 160 degrees with a thermometer in the middle of the roast. I usually use cracked black peppercorns and rub it in before ccoking.

IPT

#6 ·
If you use a crock pot on a sirloin tip roast, you will have stringed beef afterwords. Just put it in the oven at 325 degrees and cook til the insides read 160 degrees with a thermometer in the middle of the roast. I usually use cracked black peppercorns and rub it in before ccoking.

IPT
Picky, picky, picky....It sure is damn good though!

I have to agree, pork is better in this recipe, Ckill didn't know it but he persuaded me to put one in the cooker this morning (pork that is)...Sure is smelling good too!

Crpdeth

#7 ·
Picky, picky, picky....It sure is damn good though!

I have to agree, pork is better in this recipe, Ckill didn't know it but he persuaded me to put one in the cooker this morning (pork that is)...Sure is smelling good too!

Crpdeth
Got one on order at the butcher in town. I told him 6 lbs and to wrap it good. Gonna smoke it this weekend in my new vertical Brinkmann International smoker! Oh the joys of a good smoker! :p:p:p:p:D:D:D

#8 ·
I hope you didn't have too much trouble getting that smoker home, Rick...If I recall you bought a pretty heavy one. I just got one of those little "trailer assist hand trucks" (or whatever they are called) for mine and it made a world of difference since it's so tongue heavy...

Hey, you might as well take pics and give us a report on how you prepared it when you get done.

Deth

#10 · (Edited)
I love the suggestions & I mostly use the crockpot or a big pot with a tight-fitting lid on very low heat but IF YOU'RE IN A HURRY I like to brown a 5lb roast in my large pressure cooker in oil real quick, add ad little water, slice up an onion, ad whatever spices seem to hit my fancy(cumin, fennel seed, clove greek seasoning etc) an envelope of lipton's onion soup mix & cook pressurized for an hour. Then I open the cooker & ad potatos-whole peeled or unpeeled, carrots & a can of cream of mushroom soup & cook pressurized 15 min more. When you open the cooker after the 15 min you'll have nice tender roast, nicely cooked vegies that have that flavor of everything else & you'll have gravy ready to serve.

Another variation is stew whith chunks of stew meat cooked a while & then the vegies chopped up & cooked at the end to keep them from getting mushy & when you open the cooker at the end you throw in frozen peas that end up just right in a minute from the hot stuff-ready to serve without overcooking. same spices & soup mixes.

Both recipies take a little over an hour if you don't have 5-6 hours for the crockpot.

#11 ·
Spice Mix

1 t of fresh ground Sea Salt
1 T of fresh ground Black Pepper
1/2 t of White Pepper
1/4 t Paprika
1/2 t of Marjoram
1/2 t of Thyme
1/4 t of Cayenne (optional)

Mix and rub into roast and let marinate overnight. Roast covered @ 400 until a meat thermometer reads 160. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of the wine of your choice. Add 1 cup of beef broth or water and thicken with cornstarch and water.:D

This is so good, but I think the Cavenders is the best idea.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.