site observation... and constructive criticism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jay, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

I'm not one of the high-volume posters here, but I've been around for a little while. I value the opinions of all, and enjoy reading the vast majority of posts.

However

It might not hurt to remember that many of us had the same questions about shooting/firearms at one time or another. Most important, there are very few firearms related questions that have not been asked before.

I've recently bought a rifle like I've never owned before, and promptly went in search of information....... arrived at a highly recommended site, introduced myself, and asked my first question. The first four replies, were right at the level of arrogance, and some serious attitude, regarding the number of times my question had been asked before, and instructing me to use the search feature. I managed to restrain my own attitude, told'em "thanks for nothing" and took a hike. Got my information, but not from there.

Don't let it happen here folks. I'd hate to see TFF get the reputation of being an archive site for info 'cause "they won't let you ask questions".

We need to cultivate new members, not indicate that their question is too repetitious to be answered again.

Unless we don't really need/want any more new members.

OK, I'm off my soap box with this disclaimer... no reference to any one individual. No disrespect to anyone. Opinions are mostly mine, and do not reflect the opinions of others, unless they choose to agree.
  2. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

I'm still a newbie here but from what I've seen of these folks you don't have anything to worry about.
  3. rosierita

rosierita New Member

jay ~ i think your suggestions are GREAT! :) i think that overall tho, this site is the best place to ask questions. from my own personal experience i have never had anyone respond to me rude when i have asked questions, but i do believe the reminders to keep our attitudes in check are a great thing. :)
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Comments well taken, Jay.

It never hurts to have a gentle reminder once in a while.

:)
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thanks for the input, Jay. We're always open to comments and suggestions on ways to make a great site even better!
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK Jay.....since I'm one of the Moderators on the "Ask The Pros & What's It Worth" and "Technical Questions And Information" Forums (where most of these inquiries end up), let me respond this way.

I think (and hope) that here at TFF we realize that there are many newcomers to the shooting sports, and try to answer even the most basic questions (for the 150th time) politely. :)

We recognize that everybody is a newcomer to shooting sometime, so we try to be patient, answer questions in language that somebody new to the sport can understand....and hope that they'll stick around here at TFF and help grow our site and the shooting sports.

Of course, sometimes we tear our hair out when we get a question like: "I've got a gun. It's long and has a thing on the side. What is it and how much is it worth?"

Arrrrggggghhhhh! :D

OK......then we have to pop a Prozak and ask 20 or 40 or 60 questions to drag out every little bit of information.

It ain't easy being a so-called "Expert". :)

However, we usually manage to answer most questions....and even have a little fun doing it....

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=146467#post146467
  7. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

It does not sound to me like he is talking about this site because I have never seen a question handled that way. I have seen it on another unnamed forum almost everytime a question is asked. Don
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

Xracer.... I completely understand. All the mods and admin folks here do an outstanding job. I just tossed this out to try and head off any issues like I ran into on another site. Not likely to happen here, but one never knows. Many lurkers just browse, and read and search, and THEN ask. I think most of the repeated questions are from those who have been "referred" to this site by others, and just launch into "getting educated". None the less, the patience excersized by mods and admin here should continue as is.
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sometimes, stimulating a new person to read what is before him enlightens him all the more. I have never seen a thread that ended when this has happened. The person still had the information provided. However, hopefully he will then go and look at the other threads in that particular forum. This is what I try to stimulate when I make that reply. Yes, it was I that Jay is referring to. This usually leads to a person that will garner more information that he originally asked for. Nuff said!

here's the thread, looks like 5 replies after mine. Doesn't look like it impeded anyone from answering!

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=146480#post146480
  10. Marlin

I have been guilty in the past of saying that subject has already been covered in detail. However, whenever I do that, I first find the thread and make a link to it so that the person interested doesn't have to try to use search and be uncomfortable with it. I tell them to click on the link and - -

presto - -

The answer they want!
  11. Marlin

Won't duplicate here. My note is in the other thread......
  12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I usually do what Marlin said. I'll tell the person that this has been covered already and provide a link (or several links) to previous threads. If it's a new member, I'll welcome them.

However, it is common courtesy for a new member with a "newbie" question to look around first before asking questions. That's why boards have search features and multiple pages of previous posts. Especially on boards that are specific to technical information. It becomes not only a place to talk about what you enjoy, but can be a very useful source of archived information. It just requires a few extra seconds on your part to actually look at what's there.

This is just me, but if I waltz into a new board looking for information, I'm going to search all over for my question before asking. That way, I don't look like a "dumb new guy" to the seasoned members. If I can't find it, I'll ask the question and tell them that I looked around and couldn't find the answer. Like it or not, that's how internet chat boards work for the most part. Of course, it should never be acceptable for someone to be rude to a new member.
  13. offeror

offeror New Member

Everybody uses a board differently. Some never search archives because they prefer a more live chat-type experience. Not all PC users have the depth of knowledge to use features that seem simple to others -- or even know they are there until somebody points it out.

If you've read gun magazines long enough, you know the same subjects keep coming up year after year in print as well. Every time a new generation of kids takes an interest in firearms, we start over -- the same questions have to be answered. I'm glad of that, because without the newbies we might lose our Second Amendment some day. So when I'm tempted to groan, I remember that and help the people out.

I wouldn't worry too much about a few of the people on the big boards with preconceived notions about how things are "supposed to" work. It's strictly their problem, but you do need to grow a thick skin to tolerate the rude comments, sometimes.

When I started posting on GlockTalk, which typically has 500-800 people online at once, I was assumed to be a "newbie" on gun boards, but I already had 8,800 posts on another gun forum -- so you never know who is joining the crowd.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  14. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

I just joined a few days ago and jumped right in like I've been here for years, but everyone is still really great to me. I can't complain about TFF. :D
  15. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"Every time a new generation of kids takes an interest in firearms, we start over -- the same questions have to be answered. I'm glad of that, because without the newbies we might lose our Second Amendment some day. So when I'm tempted to groan, I remember that and help the people out."

An astute observation Offeror.......and one that all of us so-called "experts" should remember!

Thank you for the insight!
  16. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Good points all...but we should all also recognize that from time to time those of us who have been shooting and hunting for years and years and years will come across something we've never seen before. And from experience, I have found that the dumbest question is the one not asked!

Yeah..I know, sometimes the urge not to bite your tongue gets the best of us..me included...but if someone is truly a novice, the worst thing we can do is offer criticism for asking the question. Linking to other threads is good, and an outright answer along with a link is even more better.

After all, we all want to maintain our 2nd Amendment rights, and if we don't encourage the newcomers and youth, then they will end up losing their rights.

Just my two cents worth...

John
  17. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

U cant lern? U gotta B pushin daiseys. :cool:
  18. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I saw a bumper sticker several years ago that read "Rude People Suck". It stuck with me. I try never to be rude, no matter how tempting it is. ;)
  19. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

BITE ME!

.....hope I didn`t crush any cent-ci-tv folks hearts.....NOT!

LTS
  20. stash247

stash247 New Member

Guys, I work in the automotive industry, in an 'independent' garage, and, I'm here to tell you, "Knowledge is Power", but, only when SHARED! We all had the same 'newbie' questions, at one time or another, and all found someone willing to answer them, sooner, or later.
    My particular area of interest in firearms is rimfire accuracy rifles, and I have spent the last 40 years, or so, investigating, reading, and generally f'ing with rifles most know to be so weak as to be 'un-huntable', in polite society.
    If I am asked a question, on the subject, I consider it an honor that it was asked of me; no matter that I have answered it, a hundred times before, since(hopefully), not to the same inquirer. My two girls both shoot, and well;one, seriously competively. "Dad, how does this work" is as mundane, as "Good Morning", but, far more flattering!
    That these youngsters turn to us as 'gurus' on a subject, ought to be as flattering to the rest of you, as to me.
    That You have shot, competed, survived , for twenty or thirty years is a good thing; that you, each of you, all of you, SHARE your collective wisdom, and experience, again, and again, and again, is the price for fame.
    If I get another post for reamer dimensions, I think I may suicide, yet the author of the post may be, in a year or two, the next Lones Wiggers. How can one say "NO", to such a request???
    In closing, I offer that continuity of the sport starts with the continuom of freely exchanged information, without which, we are done. Terry