The Firearms Forum banner

size of front sight bead/screw of H&R Topper model 58 - 12 gauge

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  goofy 
#1 ·
Anyone have any info or know where to possibly find the size of the screw threads and size (diameter) of screw shank on the front bead sight of an old H&R Topper model 58 - 12 gauge shotgun ?

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
The H&R topper uses a 6x48 threed (the one I have has this).
Goofy:

That's what I thought BUT can you tell me what the DIAMETER & LENGTH of the shank of the screw part of the sight is ?

I order one from Brownells that was a 6 x 48 thread pattern BUT the diameter of the shank on the one that they sent me was just a tiny bit larger than the original one that came on the gun and thus would not fit.

The Midway USA Master Catalog #34 has some Marbles replacement sights listed on page 718 of the catalog which shows the shank size as being .10 inches. They are product numbers 931-404 and 934-503. These are listed as Extra-Lum Fiber Optic Green sights.

Do you think that those would be the proper diameter shank to fit the Topper model 58 ? I called Midway and they provide no technical assistance of the products that they sell.

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
Goofy:

That's what I thought BUT can you tell me what the DIAMETER & LENGTH of the shank of the screw part of the sight is ?

I order one from Brownells that was a 6 x 48 thread pattern BUT the diameter of the shank on the one that they sent me was just a tiny bit larger than the original one that came on the gun and thus would not fit.

The Midway USA Master Catalog #34 has some Marbles replacement sights listed on page 718 of the catalog which shows the shank size as being .10 inches. They are product numbers 931-404 and 934-503. These are listed as Extra-Lum Fiber Optic Green sights.

Do you think that those would be the proper diameter shank to fit the Topper model 58 ? I called Midway and they provide no technical assistance of the products that they sell.

Thanks.
I'm sory but i am not shure what you are asking:confused: Did the beed sight you brought thread in but was to long? If this is the case you need to file down the end so it is shorter.If it is to fat to go in (6x48) then you need a 3x56 if it to small(slopy) you need a 8x40.The first number is the diameter and the second number is the threed size.3 being the smaller 8 being the fattest,The shank size is the lenght.All bead sights(allmost always need to be fit).Looking at the midway catalog are you refering to the shank witch is 0.100?if you are look next to it for the 6-48 it is #879-428 the shank size is the same for all of them because you need to fit it (file the lenght if it is too long)

#6 · (Edited)
I'm sory but i am not shure what you are asking:confused: Did the beed sight you brought thread in but was to long? If this is the case you need to file down the end so it is shorter.If it is to fat to go in (6x48) then you need a 3x56 if it to small(slopy) you need a 8x40.The first number is the diameter and the second number is the threed size.3 being the smaller 8 being the fattest,The shank size is the lenght.All bead sights(allmost always need to be fit).Looking at the midway catalog are you refering to the shank witch is 0.100?if you are look next to it for the 6-48 it is #879-428 the shank size is the same for all of them because you need to fit it (file the lenght if it is too long)
No. it was not too long, it was too fat/big/diameter of screw shank was too large.

Per charts on this link, do you think that what I need is a 3x56 ?

http://www.muzzlecouplings.com/measuring_thread_size.htm

Do you have any idea as to what product code 959-172 on the Marbles listing on the Midway USA Master Catalog #34, which is described as thread pattern M3.0X.0.5 is ?

Thanks.

#7 ·
wpshooter yes I would say you need a 3-56 I know they are offered in 5-40(that is between 6-48 and 3-56) but I have only run into them 1 or2 times so I would say 3-56 is the anser.As for M3.0x05 I have no idea I know that 3-56 is M5x0.45 but that is as far as my knollage goes I will leave that question to someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.