Skill required to do "Duracoating"

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Nov 2, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have an old shotgun barrel that I am wanting to refinish.

I have removed all the old finish, etc. and polished the metal surface. And, of course, I would degrease before trying to refinish.

What skill level is necessary to apply a Duracoat finish to gun metal ? Is this more of an art as opposed to a science ? Is this something that you have to do a number of times to have enough experience to get a good/acceptable results, i.e. nice smooth even coating over the entire project ? In particular, I am worried about having "runs" in the finish when/while doing the application. If too much of the Duracoat is applied to an area of the metal, does/will it tend to "RUN" like paint will ?

It is my understanding from reading about the Duracoat process, that once this finish is applied to a metal surface it is difficult (if not almost impossible) to remove it. Is that correct ?

Would there be any material difference in the finished product of just using some flat black paint (Krylon) vs. doing a Duracoat in a matte black finish/color ?

Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

A bead blaster will make short work of it. Chemically its hard to remove after about 2 weeks of curing. Its not terribly hard to apply. It does not easily run but if it does, just let it dry for about 2 hours, sand it flat and reapply. If your can spray paint you can duracoat. just keep everything super clean