1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Skill required to do "Duracoating"

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Nov 2, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have an old shotgun barrel that I am wanting to refinish.

I have removed all the old finish, etc. and polished the metal surface. And, of course, I would degrease before trying to refinish.

What skill level is necessary to apply a Duracoat finish to gun metal ? Is this more of an art as opposed to a science ? Is this something that you have to do a number of times to have enough experience to get a good/acceptable results, i.e. nice smooth even coating over the entire project ? In particular, I am worried about having "runs" in the finish when/while doing the application. If too much of the Duracoat is applied to an area of the metal, does/will it tend to "RUN" like paint will ?

It is my understanding from reading about the Duracoat process, that once this finish is applied to a metal surface it is difficult (if not almost impossible) to remove it. Is that correct ?

Would there be any material difference in the finished product of just using some flat black paint (Krylon) vs. doing a Duracoat in a matte black finish/color ?

Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

A bead blaster will make short work of it. Chemically its hard to remove after about 2 weeks of curing. Its not terribly hard to apply. It does not easily run but if it does, just let it dry for about 2 hours, sand it flat and reapply. If your can spray paint you can duracoat. just keep everything super clean