SKS Conversion for AK Mags

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

A Professional
    (10/28/01 1:53:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Question about a SKS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My dad owns a Norinco SKS in 7.62x39, which you feed 10 rounds through the top with stripper clips. The rounds go into a sorta permanent mag (hard to describe, but you probably know what I mean) which opens up from bottom, to release any unfired rounds.

I'm interested in converting it to a true detachable magazine, to make it a little easier to load, and get more than 10 shots out of it. What's the best/easiest way to approach this problem?

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/28/01 2:05:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Question about a SKS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are several aftermarket possibilities.

Check out: www.sksman.com
    and www.sksparts.com

A word of warning: be aware that some legal issues may exist. Check the laws where you are first.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 10/28/01 2:09:05 pm

gpostal
    (10/28/01 9:50:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Question about a SKS.
    pro you said "true detachable magazine" you will not obtain anything close, most of the detachable sks mags will have a duck bill lip ,which will require a little filing and fitting ,I have yet to see one that works right ,{nothing you want to do in the dark any way } there is a company ,I don't know if it is one doc listed or not ,this company claims to make a insert that makes a sks take "their" ak-47 style mags ,I will look it up and post it later

I am not against converting them myself ,but I also personally don't advise doing it ,not worth the trade off in my opinion

AntiqueDr
    (10/28/01 9:57:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Question about a SKS.
    It is. sksparts.com

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com