SKS D thumbhole stock

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

cal414
    (2/6/02 2:51:49 pm)
    | Edit | Del All SKS D thumbhole stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy all,
    New guy on the board (me) asking dumb questions.....

Is it legal for me to put a monte carlo type stock my my Type D chinese SKS? I hate that thumbhole POS but I don't want Mr. BATF to slap my wrist. Thanks for the assist.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 3:44:14 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: SKS D thumbhole stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOWDY cal414! Welcome to the family. One of our resident experts will be along in a minute or two to answer your question. I just wanted to stop in and welcome you aboard. Check out our other informative forums and don't forget to stop by the Pump House for a cold one of your choice. The first one is on Warpig and myself! Stick around, I think you'll find a home here
    Regards
    BG

Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/6/02 4:18:09 pm

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:11:47 pm)
    Hiya' cal414 and Welcome to the Firearms Forum.
    I'm sure restocking your SKS with a Monte Carlo stock is perfectly acceptable.
    Adding more than the allowed pre-ban goodies, will certainly get Mr. BATF's attention.
    One of our Experts should be along shortly, Please Hold!
    Again Welcome!
    Zig

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:15:57 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: SKS D thumbhole stock
    You can restock with a Monte Carlo stock as long as you do not end up with a separate pistol grip.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:17:55 pm)
    Welcome cal414, glad to see you posting with us.

Heck, I'd be satisfied if I could only find a one inch rubber butt pad that would fit my snubby Romanian AK74 stock. They must have designed these for little bitty people.

Gunguy

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:21:41 pm)
    GG, You already know this, but you can get a Draganav composit, three piece stock from Choate for about $50.00 that fits us no Asian persuasion folks with the rubber butt pad built in..

BlackGUN

cal414
    (2/6/02 4:26:23 pm)
    AntiqueDr:
    the thing already has a thumbhole stock on it, isn't that considered a "pistol grip?"

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:38:37 pm)
    Doc will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Monte Carlo stock with the thumb hole is considered a one piece unit. I think what Doc is refering to is the pistol grip being a seperate part of the stock whick may cause it to be under the rules of a pre ban weapon and cause it to be considered an assault rifle!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/6/02 4:53:55 pm

cal414
    (2/6/02 7:02:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del SKS D Thumbhole stock
    BG:
    I remember seeing somewhere that the definition of a pistol grip was any grip that allowed the web of your trigger hand above the Trigger housing (or something like that)
    The thumbhole stock certainly does feel like a pistol grip.
    I think the BATF has thier head screwed on sideways...
    Too many laws make my head hurt ;-P

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 8:29:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: SKS D Thumbhole stock
    Hello Cal414. Doesn't the BATF website have the definition of a pistol grip? Are you in Kaliforicatia? I am sure they have theri own definition.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/7/02 3:49:36 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: SKS D Thumbhole stock
    I came back to the post to see if someone has come up with the correct answer. So have we an opinion yet?

BlackGUN