1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

SKS D thumbhole stock

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

cal414
    (2/6/02 2:51:49 pm)
    | Edit | Del All SKS D thumbhole stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy all,
    New guy on the board (me) asking dumb questions.....

Is it legal for me to put a monte carlo type stock my my Type D chinese SKS? I hate that thumbhole POS but I don't want Mr. BATF to slap my wrist. Thanks for the assist.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 3:44:14 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: SKS D thumbhole stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOWDY cal414! Welcome to the family. One of our resident experts will be along in a minute or two to answer your question. I just wanted to stop in and welcome you aboard. Check out our other informative forums and don't forget to stop by the Pump House for a cold one of your choice. The first one is on Warpig and myself! Stick around, I think you'll find a home here
    Regards
    BG

Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/6/02 4:18:09 pm

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:11:47 pm)
    Hiya' cal414 and Welcome to the Firearms Forum.
    I'm sure restocking your SKS with a Monte Carlo stock is perfectly acceptable.
    Adding more than the allowed pre-ban goodies, will certainly get Mr. BATF's attention.
    One of our Experts should be along shortly, Please Hold!
    Again Welcome!
    Zig

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:15:57 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: SKS D thumbhole stock
    You can restock with a Monte Carlo stock as long as you do not end up with a separate pistol grip.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:17:55 pm)
    Welcome cal414, glad to see you posting with us.

Heck, I'd be satisfied if I could only find a one inch rubber butt pad that would fit my snubby Romanian AK74 stock. They must have designed these for little bitty people.

Gunguy

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:21:41 pm)
    GG, You already know this, but you can get a Draganav composit, three piece stock from Choate for about $50.00 that fits us no Asian persuasion folks with the rubber butt pad built in..

BlackGUN

cal414
    (2/6/02 4:26:23 pm)
    AntiqueDr:
    the thing already has a thumbhole stock on it, isn't that considered a "pistol grip?"

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 4:38:37 pm)
    Doc will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Monte Carlo stock with the thumb hole is considered a one piece unit. I think what Doc is refering to is the pistol grip being a seperate part of the stock whick may cause it to be under the rules of a pre ban weapon and cause it to be considered an assault rifle!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/6/02 4:53:55 pm

cal414
    (2/6/02 7:02:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del SKS D Thumbhole stock
    BG:
    I remember seeing somewhere that the definition of a pistol grip was any grip that allowed the web of your trigger hand above the Trigger housing (or something like that)
    The thumbhole stock certainly does feel like a pistol grip.
    I think the BATF has thier head screwed on sideways...
    Too many laws make my head hurt ;-P

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 8:29:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: SKS D Thumbhole stock
    Hello Cal414. Doesn't the BATF website have the definition of a pistol grip? Are you in Kaliforicatia? I am sure they have theri own definition.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/7/02 3:49:36 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: SKS D Thumbhole stock
    I came back to the post to see if someone has come up with the correct answer. So have we an opinion yet?

BlackGUN