1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

SKS Grenade Launchers

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Terry G, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I'm curious as to why all Yugoslavian SKS's carry a grenade launcher. In the '60's the U.S. TO&E was one or two per squad. I was wondering why all the added expense of launcher, sights, added training, etc. Did the Yugoslavian's base their small unit tactics on a lot launched grenades? :confused:
  2. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Who needs accuracy when you have splash damage !?
  3. merc

merc New Member

They make the rifle look cool
  4. Terry G

Terry G Member

Thanks for the responses. When you actually know something, I would appreciate an intelligent reply.
  5. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

"start menu"
    "run"
    "www.thefirearmsforum.com +/HumorOff"
  6. Terry G

Terry G Member

I think I have a sense of humor. I was asking a question, you did not dignify it with an intelligent response. If you don't know the answer, that's fine. If I want jokes about firearms, I'll look up Hangun Control, Inc. :D :D
  7. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

8. Terry G

Terry G Member

Touch? Touch what?
  9. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

;)
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

To distinguish it from "touch", it should be "touché"!!!!

:cool: :confused: :)
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

These were made in lots, then issued. That is how they did things. Make a run, then switch.....make another. These are probably the last of the last. These were made prior to the RPG, now that takes the place of GL rifles......cept fer the US versions (M16)

LTS
  12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Keep in mind that the Yugoslavian M59/66 is not the "first run" of SKS's in Yugoslavia. They started using the SKS in 1959 with the M59 model, which was just a plain-jane SKS (no grenade equipment). It wasn't until 1966 that they started the switch to the M59/66 configuration.

As for why they did this, I really couldn't tell you. There isn't a whole lot of information out there about the Yugoslav military doctrines from that time period. But I would imagine that since their military wasn't the best equipped in the world, and they were not exactly on the Soviet Union's buddy list, they had to do something to make up for their lack of mechanized infantry. I guess they just found it cheaper and more effective to provide each soldier with a grenade launcher on his rifle. This makes the soldiers more mobile. Rather than tie a lot of men to a piece of equipment that relies on roads and gasoline, they gave each soldier the versatility of being able to fire standard small arms rounds or grenades.

From what I've read of the Balkan wars, this was very effective in urban environments. They would wear a large belt-looking device with rifle grenades strapped to their backs. The grenade cartridges were stored in the tail booms of each grenade. All they had to do was turn off the gas system, raise the grenade sight, lock the grenade on the launcher, load the grenade firing cartridge, aim and shoot. Then they could lower the grenade sight, turn the gas system back on, load a stripper clip of regular ammo, and fire away. In fact, grenades can be fired even without unloading the rifle. I gotta say, that's handy for any battle environment. It gives each soldier versatility.
  13. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Yugo SKS

Well it looks to me like 1952 Sniper was the only one who had any valuable information on the reason for grenade launchers being on Yugoslavian SKS's. I do, however, have to agree that these particular SKS's are the most pleasing for me to look at, especially when they are tricked out with a pistol grip stock and 30 round magazine.

Buford Allen
  14. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

You also have to consider that the Yugo grenade launcher setup is much cheaper and lighter than the M203 setup used by the US. They aren't going to incur much additional cost in outfitting the rifles with a rudimentary launcher and no one's gonna bitch about humping a rifle that's 4-6oz heavier than the regular version as opposed to the M203 which is about like carrying a second rifle:D That's just MHO.