SKS improvements

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by joncutt87, Jul 8, 2011.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I have a like new sks, I have only fired 40 rounds through it. I was wondering what upgrades that others have had success with.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

There isnt really much to do with them as far as upgrades. The guns run great without really doing anything. The only upgrade that I have seen that made a improvement is a Kivaari trigger job. Everything else is just accessories that can be added on. Many people choose to go to the removable AK magazine route but some run fine with the AK mags and I've seen some that have nothing but problems with them. Dont get to carried away. The SKS is a battle rifle. Its not a sniper rifle, its not a long range rifle, its not a close quarters assult rifle, its a battle rifle and a darn good one too. I find it rather amusing when people try to make them something they would never be. Just be proud that you own one of the most durable, rugged and reliable rifles ever made.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

The only thing that I was really interested in was in fact a trigger job. I was just looking for some insight from other owners.
  4. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

hey guys , i got a norinco sks an its great , the one thing i did so far was add a t6 adjustable tactical stock it really gets rid of alot of weight from that antique wood one lol , i also added a utg scout tri rail pictany mount over the gas tube also makes it a lil bit cooler looken , as for the ak mags beeing used on them u have to do a conversion to use them on most sks models , theres a few that were made to actually use them , mine was one that i just got a detachable 30 round duck bill mag thats made to replace that built in one , so u dont have to do any modding to use it , what type of sks do u got ?
  5. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

It's a Norinco. I got it NIB for $130, two months ago
  6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

10 round mag
  7. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

yeah the norinco sks all u need to do is get the duck bill mag an remove that built in 10 round one mine was had the same , u should be able to use the original stock still , but i thought it made mine look like an antique so i went the tactical route with it , an 130 wow that was a great deal u got on it , have fun with it an let us know wich way u go with it ,
  8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Will do everett, just been exploding cans at 50 yds for now. Got lots of guns on the table right now
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

10. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

11. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I need to get a disassembly tool
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The only mods I've done to mine are strictly add on's.

Attached Files:

13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

On mine I installed a Tapco T4 stock and pistol grip, removed the internal box magazine, and bought a half dozen twenty round duck bill mags for it. I no longer have it as i sold it to a friend but I have to agree with Helix; there's no sense trying to make it what it isn't. Modifying an SKA that way is like dressing your son up in girls clothes, then calling him Suzie. If I ever buy another one, which is quite possible, I will leave it just as it is. I might refinish the stock if needed. The one modification I would recommend is to install a recoil buffer; inexpensive, easy to install, and helps protect the receiver.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  14. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Will do, running
  15. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I have one of the very first chinese norinco sks's that were imported its been here that long. All i ever did was to lube it with moly on the rails, bolt/bolt carrier, gas piston/recoil spring and on the trigger sear. There awsome and probably one of the best sks's out there. As all the stuff became available to trick it out i did trick it out with a new plastic stock ect. I got it all together and i hated the new look with no real wood so i changed it all back to its orgimal condition except for the vented handguard. Bill

BTW; I been planning on doing a paratrooper build with a yugo m59 and i'm going to use all my left over parts.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  16. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

Anyone recomend a good set of sight to put on the SKS? I can't get a feel for mine. I hate to ask, as I am of the opinion that you shouldn't make a sks something it isn't but I can't get a feel for the sights.
  17. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I do agree with you all on not modifying the SKS. I have owned severl, and have used them to hunt deer with, and they will get the job done every time, great rd. The modified gun in my first post is the first one I bought, and is a home defense gun only. It has never shot as good as my other rifles, so nothing lost in that dept. It will empty the mag as fast as I can pull the trigger, and that's a lot of fire power up close. I live in the sticks, so I don't worry about shooting thru the walls into the neighbors house.
  19. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I put it through the paces thursday. I think that for now, I just want to do a trigger job and get a recoil buffer
  20. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Trigger job is a must BUT,,how about drilling some properly spaced holes in the Grenade adaptor and make it into a Muzzle Brake,,still keeps a stock look but maybe it would serve a purpose,,,I just did mine and will find out if it changes anything