SKS legality

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Bocc44, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

I have an SKS and live in CT. My SKS may or may not have a boyonet on it:rolleyes: Is this currently legal? How do I find out specific laws for my state?

Thanks, Bocc44
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

In CT, the bayonet doesn't matter - the bayonet mount does. If you have a bayonet mount, you can not have any other evil feature such as a pistol grip, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, folding or collapsible stock, etc, or it becomes an illegal 'assault weapon.'

The bayonet itself may be classified as a 'dangerous weapon' under CT law.
  3. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

I understand that the number of 'bayonet charges' by gangs and thugs have decreased dramatically in CT since the ban took effect. What an insane law.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

What's next, banning the Yugo SKS because of their grenade launching capability? Lord knows there are tons of Yugo rifle grenades out there.:rolleyes:
  5. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

Wow, is this true? What is wrong with the law?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

I also have an SKS and was told that if it was imported with one is was ok and should remain that way but if it didn't have one then you couldn't attach one. Have I been misled?
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

In Connecticut, that combo would be an 'assault weapon' under state law. In FL, it is OK.

You also need to make sure you are compliant with 18 USC 922r and 27 CFR 478.89. Since you have modified the SKS from its originally imported condition to have a pistol grip and collapsible buttstock you have removed it from 'sporting purposes' and are required to have no more than 10 foreign made parts in the rifle, of 14 'countable' parts in the SKS. Probably 95% or more of SKS owners do not understand the federal law regarding the rifles imported as 'suitable for sporting purposes' such as the AK, SKS, and Saiga and believe they can simply swap stocks.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

Well, that sucks. I'm moving!!
  9. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

I knew I was keeping mine stock for a reason
  10. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

That's true for federal law. State laws vary a lot.
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don't move to IL. They want to ban all assault rifles and make us register ALL guns at $65 each.
  12. rimphire

rimphire New Member

While we're on the subject of SKS's I live in WA and we're a little more liberal over here, I bought a Norinco Chinese SKS at a local gun show, its got all the goodies with the folding buttstock, pistol grip, gas tube rail, Red Dot, bayonet, 30 round Pro Mags.
    I took it out shooting after the purchase and discovered it only shoots in bolt action mode.
    Thinking it was something simple I replaced the piston with a stainless US model It still does not cycle. I took the whole %#!!&% gun apart and cleaned it but good brushed out all the orifices the gas block is like new clean and the tube fits good and it still sucks.
    The only thing I can think that may be causing the failure is (I've read the bolt return spring functions better if its very slippery like 90 wt gear oil slick. and Maybe its the pro Mags hangin up? I dont know... any help out there?
  13. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

The gas tube is blocked, there should be a slider thingy on the top to allow semi-auto, move the switch over. At least, that's how the Yugoslavian models are. Not sure about the Norinco.
  14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

The Norinco shouldn't have the gas diverter. Check your gas ports, sounds like they are plugged.
  15. rimphire

rimphire New Member

Everything is spotless from the front of the barrel up through the tube and all the way to the bolt
  16. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

17. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

does illinois have ccw permits?
  18. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

imho.. the gubmint has too much to do in law abiding citizens tastes for guns.

they need to focus more on the darn video tape copiers and the like.. ;)
  19. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

SOOOOO Glad I live in Florida
  20. coreyask1304

coreyask1304 New Member

so glad i live in michigan.we can have any kind of assault weapon we want as long as it isnt full auto.