1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

SKS loading question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Saskprairie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Saskprairie

Saskprairie New Member

I just bought a SKS at a price too good to pass on, it has a stamp on the side and says its made in china. It has a folding bayonet and is top loading. I was wondering if it can be converted to accept a detachable magazine. I shot about 30 rounds through it and am pleasantly pleased. Thanks
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

You can buy detachable mags at cheaperthandirt.com and cabelas.com
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

The detatchable mags tend to not function very well, get some 10 round stripper clips.
  4. butchseaman

butchseaman New Member

The 20 round detachable mags made by Tapco work fine in my Norinco SKS. You will enjoy shooting that weapon.
  5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I'll have to look into the tapco, they make good stuff
  6. Saskprairie

Saskprairie New Member

Sorry I should have been more clear on my post, the sks loads from the top and on the bottom has a lever that swings open a outer cover, which has the spring loaded magazine guide? Is there two versions of the sks, one that is detachable magazine and the other that is internal magazine. If so, i have the internal one and want the external detachable one, is there a conversion kit i can buy?
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

You don't really need a kit since there is a way to remove the internal mag, but I forgot how, exactly.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Since I see that you are in Canada, you might want to check your local laws before attempting to purchase and use SKS detachable mags...
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

That's a regular SKS. That "outer cover" is your SKS magazine. Dissassemble the weapon and reassemple without replacing the magazine.

Now it will accept detachable mags.

The advice Angel gave is very true. It's difficult to find 30 round SKS mags that work reliably....they are out there but it's trial 'n error...most can be made to function by adjusting the lips but this may require filing etc etc.

Also...detachable SKS mags have a big extended lip that makes it less than practical to carry multiple mags in conventional pouches.

IMHO....an SKS is fine as a 10 round weapon. It loads best with 10-round stripper clips.

Anyway...

SKS Magazine Installation Instructions

1. MAKE SURE SKS IS UNLOADED!
    2. Lock bolt open and switch the safety on.
    3. Take out trigger assembly. To do so turn SKS upside down and look behind the trigger guard for a detent. With a Phillips head screwdriver insert the tip into that detent and push forward. This will release the trigger guard causing it to come out of the SKS.
    4. Remove Factory 10rd. Magazine Assembly. The magazine will remove after the trigger assembly is out of the way. The magazine should just pull out easily provided the bolt is still locked back.
    5. Remove the Butt Stock from Barreled Assembly. The butt stock will come out if you grab the barrel and gas tube in front of the wood stock and lift. While the SKS is upside down, with the right hand slap the Butt Stock where your cheek rest when shooting and the Barreled Assembly will separate from the Butt Stock.
    6. Disassembling the SKS allows you to see how the NEW MAGAZINE mounts to your SKS.
    Under the rear sight on the bottom side of your SKS is a block with a notch where the extension of the NEW MAGAZINE inserts. Once the extension is in the notch you will be able to rock the magazine into the slot in the rear of the magazine well.
    7. Now put your SKS back together with your NEW MAGAZINE in place.
  10. Saskprairie

Saskprairie New Member

Thanks to all who replied, will stay with a 10 round magazine to keep on the good side of the law, I plan to use if for pest control mainly.
  11. pawn

pawn Active Member

+1 Butchseaman
    Tapco detachable mags work fine in my norinco SKS as well.