SKS Magazine Swaps

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Naimian, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Naimian

Naimian New Member

It said to post firearms questions in here, so my question is thus: The Shop has a couple Chinese SKS rifles, one has a 4? round mag and the other is either a 5 or 8 rd. Mag. Both Mags are fixed, but the manual says that the mag can be detached when you strip it. Is it legal for me to strip the rifle and replace the mag with a higher capacity one? (say 20 rd.) It would still be a top-loader, just a larger mag.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I would think it depends entirely on what your state laws read. If you live somewhere such as California or New York, then installing a Magazine larger than 10 rounds can place you facing a fine, jail time and or confiscation of your firearm. If you live in a state that has no limits on magazines capacity then have at it. It's best to check your own state laws rather than ask a bunch of strangers their opinion. Whats legal here in Arizona may not be legal in your locality
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Welcome to the Forum! Check your local laws and dont depend on one source!
  4. marcodelat

marcodelat New Member

double post
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. marcodelat

marcodelat New Member

First of all - + 1 with the above posts by Lotsdragon and RJay

Secondly -

Hello Naimian,

Well, if you are considering buying an SKS - In my opinion, a fine semi auto rifle - and have some... or many, questions may I suggest you go here:

http://datalus.montecarlohosting.net/~sksboard/smf/

Lots of knowledge and lots of fine people there willing to share it.

I've suggested there for folks to come here when they have questions to which - being that here we have experts on the particular firearm in question (e.g. Mr. Bill Goforth on the old H&R and Iver Jonson pocket revolvers) a thorough answer would be "best" found in this forum.

So here I'm giving you a site were people eat, breathe and live SKS...

I'm new here myself, so I hope this is OK with the admins here - if not please advise.

Enjoy!