SKS modified rifle questions from a new member

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Larry G, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Hello. This is my first post to this forum and I'm hoping some of you can furnish some advice. I considering a SKS rifle purchase from an individual (not a dealer) who has a SKS rifle that has been modified to accept an AK 20 clip magazine. His asking price is $300, which includes 2 extra clips. I must admit that this is the first weapon I have ever purchased for home defense and I will be taking the time to get to my local gun range to familiarize myself with it very well. Now the questions: 1) How reliable is the SKS over all? 2.) Since the weapon has been modified for AK mags, will this affect the reliability? 3.) Is it fairly easy to clean and what is recommended for cleaning it? 4.) and last, does $300 seem to be a fair price for the weapon?
    At a later date, perhaps in a few weeks, I'll also be considering a pump action 12 gauge shotgun. I have heard that some models are capable of 7 shells in a magazine. Another couple of questions: Which model is the most reliable and what would be a fair price? Again, this would be for home defense. Thanks
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

SKS To answer your question an SKS is very reliabe, as far as the AK mags being reliable, It all depends on how good of a conversion you friend did. Now for home defense it is not a good idea to use an SKS for the home, due to if you miss a shot with it it could go thru the wall and kill innocent people and then go thru your house into your neighbors and kill them, Their have been reports that have been confirmed of 7.62x39 going thru three house and it was a hollow point. If your friend did a good conversion of it, $300 is a good price

Now for the shotgun I recomend a Mossberg 500A make sure it has the A in the model number, Mossberg's are great reliable guns, My 500A holds 7 in the mag and onein the pipe, and a shotgun is the best home defense long gun ever made, And the price I bought a used one not to long ago and it was like $150
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  3. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. If the SKS rifle is capable of penetrating 3 houses (and I live in a fairly congested subdivision), I have to seriously reconsider a rifle. The Mossberg 500A sounds much more suitable for in house defense for my needs. Another couple of questions, please? What would be the effective range of a 12g shotgun? And I have heard of 2 types of shells, one called double 0 and another type called deer slugs. What is the difference and which would be the best for close in home defense?
  4. southernshooter

The effective range of a shotgun all depends on the barrel lenght, if it will be for home defense a short barrel is better, something like a 18inch, As far as ammo double 00 is buckshot and contains the pellets that one would think of a shotgun shooting, and the deer slugs are one single bullet a real real big one, I usually stratle my load I put one double 00 and then a slug and then double 00 and so on, I di this because Their maybe a situation where a sulg could be better for home defense like if the intruder had a hostage near him you wouldn't want pellets coming out and spreading,

And you said you would want to rethink a rifle their are a few that would be good home rifles, Something like a AR-15 but one of the ones that shoot a 9mm or 40S&W. And Ruger also makes a carbine in 9mm and 40S&W
  5. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thanks again. Frankly, I am amazed that the deer slug is ONE bullet. It must be huge when fitted for a 12g and may take the place of a short range rifle. I am thinking that at close range, perhaps 50 feet or less (inside of my house and barn) that a deer slug would stop any intruder without question. I like the idea of mixing 00 pellets with a deer slug and you mentioned the Mossberg having 7 shells in the magazine and one in the chamber for a total of 8 shots. Thanks for the advice. I may not be needing a rifle after all, but may buy a revolver as a backup weapon instead.
  6. What Southern has said is gospel, Larry. For home security, the SKS would definitely NOT be a good choice, nor, for that matter, would any rifle. You must remember, the SKS was designed as a military weapon and the power of the 7.62 x 39 round is considerable. A shotgun is hard to beat for home defense, in my opinion. You needn't load heavy buckshot either (which is often over penetrating). Even a light #8 shot skeet round is more than adequate for the task. A "scatter" gun doesn't really "scatter" as much as most people think. At room distances it won't spread more than a couple inchs or so, even out of a full-cylinder barrel, thus anyone you hit is going to end up taking at least an ounce and an eighth of shot. Very few can survive that. A handgun is also an excellent choice, but does require considerably more practice to use effectively. If you go the handgun route, be sure to get some instruction from a qualified person and practice, practice, practice. Just my $.02 worth. :D
  7. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thank you for the advice, Southernshooter & Pistolenschutze. I have decided, based on the advice I have seen here, to examine and purchase the Mossberg 500a. And given the defense situations I anticipate (close range only at less than 50 feet), a shotgun it will be, a rifle is not what I will be buying. Now, as far as a handgun, again for only a defense situation, I am considering a good quality revolver or am I wrong? My primary objective is to buy a handgun that is totally reliable, that always fires when I pull the trigger. A friend has recommended a semi-automatic slide action with an 8 round clip. He also recommended that it be a .44 or .45 caliber weapon. Which would be better, a semi-automatic or revolver and what would be the best quality weapon I could buy?
  8. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

$300 is twice what that thing is worth.
    Those mags are grossly unreliable and if you shoot a burglar you will probably kill the neigbor's kid as well.

Get the shotgun.
  9. southernshooter

Larry if everyone using the gun for example you your wife and kids knows how to work a gun good, I would say a semi-auto, but if your family isn't gun people and know nothing about them I would say get a revovler, either of which I would get a semi-auto in 45acp or a revolver in 45acp, The caliber is great for defense, The bullet is a lot like me it is big and slow and for defense that is what is needed
    Just my .02
  10. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Thanks, Southernshooter. My own training on a pistol of any type is minimal, but I have made arrangements for several weeks of practice at a local shooting range. Since my wife is quite afraid of guns in general, I will be buying a .45 revolver. The Colt brand comes to mind as a reliable and high quality weapon for myself. As a side note, I also plan to get a .22 revolver (if they exist) for my wife as 'hers', perhaps by learning to shoot together, she may get over her current fear. Thanks a lot for your excellent advice, Southernshooter, it has been much appreciated! Larry
  11. southernshooter

.45 acp revolvers are great make sure though it is 45.acp and not .45Colt
    Yes .22 revolvers exist just to name a few but S&W makes one as well as Taurus,
  12. Larry G

Larry G New Member

Southernshooter, thanks again for the quick response. Sorry, I don't know this, but what is acp? And the difference between .45 acp and .45Colt? Is S&W the same as Smith & Weston? Larry
  13. southernshooter

45 ACP is the smaller of the 2 which the acp means 45 auto The .45Colt is a much longer round the one that was used in the old western revolver's
    Here is a picture it isn't actual real life size but it will give you an idea, And yes S&W means Smith and Wesson

Attached Files: