The Firearms Forum banner

SKS sight alignment

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ShawnDow 
#1 ·
Ok, I took my rusty trusty SKS to the range... Shooting Tulammo..122gr. FMJ's.. out to 50 yards, with the rear sight set at the "Battle sight 0" or the elevation slide full aft... Now... I'm grouping good on elevation, but Im hitting 2.5" right... I know, adjust the front sight to the right... or would that be left?:confused:

I thought I remembered reading an article about adjusting front sight height a while back... Cant really remember where, but it had cool math for front to rear sight separation, distance to target, and something to do with front sight height.. and if you were hitting high or low.. the math would give you an "adjustment" in a decimal of an inch to either add or subtract for the front pin...

Is there such a formula for windage? I don't want to beat (tap) the front sight pointlessly in hopes of getting closer.. Id like a real good estimate as to how far to move the thing over. Is there such a mathematical formula for adjusting the front sight for windage?
Or do i just keep on tapping away?
Shawn

#2 ·

Attachments

#4 ·
Here's the basic rule. Move the sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. Drift he front sight to the left.
Right!.. uhhh I mean left... roger! over and out!. move the thinggy to the left..
I did find a mathematical equation for moving it... http://www.sdmfabricating.com/sightcalc.html
It works for up down left and right! looks like i have to move it .02" to the left.

#5 · (Edited)

make one want plans??)

i've never used numbers to work it

i set the sights at the rear and adjust the front site from there to get side and height adjustment to the rear sight setting

once you have it nailed to the rear sight for one , the rest are all pretty much bang on for sov ammo

i like to do it for 200 or 100 meters

remember the measurements are METERS so you dial in on a YARD measued range and the sight will be out and progressivly worse as you go further out and a major reason why US folks say they shoot crap ,

i think the average SKS is bloody deadly out to 400, and if you move the site and get a rear mounted peep , 600 meters

cheers

#8 ·

make one want plans??)

i've never used numbers to work it

i set the sights at the rear and adjust the front site from there to get side and height adjustment to the rear sight setting

once you have it nailed to the rear sight for one , the rest are all pretty much bang on for sov ammo

i like to do it for 200 or 100 meters

remember the measurements are METERS so you dial in on a YARD measued range and the sight will be out and progressivly worse as you go further out and a major reason why US folks say they shoot crap ,

i think the average SKS is bloody deadly out to 400, and if you move the site and get a rear mounted peep , 600 meters

cheers
Jack, Has any one on here told you that your awesome? Thanks for the good info and insight.
Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.