SKS/Tapco stocks

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Salvage33, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Am trying to install a new Tapco stock on a Yugo SKS. The part I'm have a problem with is getting the pins out of the gas tube. I know they are tapered, but have already broken one punch trying to drive them out. Yes, I am driving from the small side to the large side. LOL

I have soaked the pins in Kroil and they still won't budge. Any suggestions?

John
  2. MUROFSMRA

MUROFSMRA New Member

IIRC, most of those old "Ninja-look" kits (well, yes, I did have a couple, myself) came with the camo version already with gas-tube installed. YMMV.
    There IS REPEAT "IS" a difference in length between Russ., and Norinco, and Yugo/com.bloc.) gas tubes. But driving out the pins shouldn't matter unless you want to keep the antique wood for later retro-installing.
  3. kelly

kelly New Member

If you have the little cleaning kit that goes in the buttstock, that steel punch will drive out any pin on the gun. Rap the crap outa it with a hammer. It'll come out.
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Had the same problem when I did mine.you just got to beat the hell out of them.I ended up breaking the wood so watch out.
  5. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Thanks for the prompt responses. Okay..don't have the sight adjustment tool, but do have new set of punches, and I was trying to be fairly gentle with it. As far as saving the wood...not worried about that. So it's the old "get a bigger hammer" thing. LOL

I'll probably beat it out of their tomorrow. Thanks again.

John
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just use the fattest punch you can that will still fit thru the hole and give it hell.
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I had more trouble with the pin tapco gave me. I actually ended up using the original pin. But as far as your problem give it hell. Don't want to be a jerk here but I'm guessing there's space for the pin to move out of the other side and u aren't just driving it into the table. I had to ask because my pin was so stubborn.
  8. ZERGDOGG

ZERGDOGG New Member

just did this, I broke that cleaning kit punch it was useless I had to use a 1/8" hardened steel punch ( harbor freight )that I ground down on a grinder ( tapered ) so it would fit and still be long enough ..had a friend hold the gas tube on a small anvil part of the bench vise.make sure the only part resting on the anvil is the thick part of the gas tube if you have the whole tube on it I think it might dent the tube .I whacked it with a regular hammer as I was afraid to use a bigger one eventually it came out slowly bit by bit , funny thing is when we reassembled the gas tube with the poly cover the pin slid right in with only a light tap.Ive seen a youtube vid of someone just pushing it out without even using a hammer.but not on this beasty..good luck with yours.........