sks with tapco 20rnd mag

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by zkovach, Dec 9, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Michigan
    Got an sks from my dad and the original mag didnt fit it. seems the gun is very tight and looks like its never been shot. My question: How can you pull out your tapco mag without pulling the bolt back and the clip (which holds the mag in) simultaneously. I have seen you tube videos where they dont even touch the bolt. There is a sticker on the mag package that says i must pull the bolt back to put it in and take it out. did i buy the only one where i have to do this?

Thanks,
    Zoltan

2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've never seen a Tapco SKS mag that you didn't have to have the bolt back to take out. That is unless you either modified the mag or the bolt or both. As nice as the Tapco mags work for me its just something I live with.

3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

Apr 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    what you've seen is either a modified gun or an sks that takes ak mags. any regular sks with any detachable mag will require you to hold the bolt back to remove the mag if there are still rounds left in the gun

i suppose you could remove the portion of the bolt that holds on the magazine feed lips. it crossed my mind to do this if i ever started using after market mags in my sks. you wouldnt need to remove the whole section only about the back 2/3s of each offending rail. leaving them intact in the front would keep as much strength in the bolt as possible and as much weight.

4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes...you can grind off an area on the bolt to enable mag removal with bolt closed. Longspring, a member I haven't seen on in a long time, posted some pictures and complete instructions for doing this. I don't have these instructions anymore but you might try to do a search for past posts by Longspring. He's pretty much an authority on the SKS.

As far as the mag not fitting in the mag well, if this has the original wooden stock it is often the case that the sides of the mag well have to be shaved a bit to fit the mags. If you install one of the after market poly stocks they are generally designed to accomodate the hi capacity mags.

Just a personal opinion here. I had an SKS that i tricked out with a tapco stock with collapsable butt, pistol grip, and hand guard. I then bought some tapco 20 rd mags as I thought loading with stripper clips was too tedious. I ended up selling the rifle to a good friend. It is an excellant shooter, however in retrospect I wouldn't make those changes to one again. I'd prefer to recognize the SKS for what it is; a very reliable and accurate piece of history. It will never be an assault rifle, so I would practice with the stripper clips until I got it down. If you still have the wooden stock, I'd reinstall the internal box magazine, and use clips. JMO

5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

Apr 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    romt. amen to that! i love the sks for what it is.

6. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say that mine came as is along with a collapsible stock. I put it in the collapsible and did not like it. I considered changing some parts out to adopt a scope, then considered putting a peep site on the rear, then finally come to terms that it's just fine the way it is! All original!
    I love shooting this rifle a couple times a month. Ammo is cheap too. It will eat any ammo you put in it. I wouldn't be surprised if ya took a bullet head and a handful of match heads and jammed them in their, they'd fire too! :)

When my Colt AR-14 M4 carbine gets here Friday, I will just need an AK-47 to complete my fun gun assortment!

7. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    St. Louis, MO
    I hear you. I have a Chinese SKS with a polymer stock and its a lot of fun. I've found all the 20 round Tapco mags I have fit fine, but with the 30 round Pro Mags its very hit or miss. They all feed fine though. I was thinking I should get an AK but now I'm more interested in an old bolt gun for my next rifle.

8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    florida
    I tend to like the Chinese 20rnd metal mages that work lil the original, just load with 2 strippers.

9. Big Mak

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    I have 3 of these metal chinese banana mags but I've never tried to use the stripper clips for 2x 10 rounds.
    Is it tough to get the 2nd stripper rounds in? I guess I could dig them out in the back of my ammo safe and find out. ....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. soundguy

May 8, 2012
    florida
    I think we have a misunderstanding in terminology. I'm not referring to a " Removable " mag, but one in the original style, just 20 rounds, not 10.

11. soundguy

May 8, 2012
    florida
    Here are pics

They work like the original 10 round retained box mag

12. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I've never seen a 20 round mag like that one! I learned something today! I use the 30, and 40 round duck billed mags. With these you do have to hold the bolt back to remove the empty mag. But then you just push up the bolt hold open before you release the bolt. The next mag fits right in. Pull the bolt back, and let it go, you are now loaded, and ready to rock! SKS 008.jpg

13. Big Mak

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    I've never seen them either! And come to think of it, my mags are 30, not 20. DOH!

14. Big Mak

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    Carver, mine works like that too, and it makes the RSO a little nervous (depending on who is on duty) when I swapped mags so I went back to the standard 10 round mag.

carver likes this.
  15. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Lay the rifle on your bag, pointed down range, pull the bolt back, remove the empty mag, push up the bolt hold back, release the bolt, and insert a charged mag. This way the rifle is always pointed down range, and is always in a safe position.

Big Mak likes this.