SKS

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Frankb, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Frankb

Frankb New Member

I've been thinking about getting an SKS. There's an auction soon that has several. Between Norincos, Pamonas, Intracs, and those noted by the countries they are made in which ones are good and which ones should be avoided? How are they as far as accuracy goes? They seem like a good buy for the money, but for more money would it be better to buy an AK47?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Russian's and Chinese's are usually the best. They are usually tighter guns with better accuracy. I have had Yugo's, Russian's, and Chinese's and the best I had out of all of them was Chinese. I preferred it to the Yugo and the Russian. With the Russian coming in a close second. The Yugo's are good guns but I have no use for the big long grenade launcher on the end. And the Rusky's are good but they are exspensive.
  3. I own two of them, Frank, one Russian (bought about 15 years ago) and one Yugo. Both are excellent weapons though I think the Russian definitely has the edge in terms of accuracy and overall function. To be honest, I really like these rifles. They are a blast to shoot, ammo is relatively cheap, and accuracy is far, far better than I expected it would be. The SKS is, of course, intended as a battle rifle and thus the stress was put on simplicity and functionality, not good looks. Simply put, for the price they simply cannot be beaten. My advice is to buy one before the !@#$% Democrats ban them! :D
  4. Frankb

Frankb New Member

That's good information. I'm interested in accuracy and ability to function. I assume the Norincos are Chineese. What are Pamonas and Intracs?
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  5. Frankb

Frankb New Member

What price range should I be paying? I plan to go to an auction soon.
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Russians and Chinese in decent condition are pushing $300 these days at shows....and I have seen them at gunshops for more....and the Chinese seem to bring a LITTLE more than Russians recently....

Yugo 59/66s are going for $150 to $200 now, but appreciating quickly because they are drying up quickly from the importers and jobbers....

Romanians have gone through the roof, $250 was the cheapest I saw one last month at a big show, they are pushing the Russians now in price

I like the Yugos for the price, due to the machined (not stamped) receivers....
  7. RMT

RMT New Member

I've had a Norinco Paratrooper and a Yugo. Both were great for the money. Should have never sold the Paratrooper, but at least it's in good hands with my brother.