SKS?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Shorty Bang, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Shorty Bang

Shorty Bang New Member

I have a SKS the side stamp says JPE Pomona, CA made in China. All numbers match, it has a 16" barrel the ser# starts with 300*** black folding stock 30 rnd mag, and a bayonet lug without the bayonet. Can anyone tell me what I have and is it pre or post ban. I have searched the forum and the web but keep getting turned in circles.:confused:
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Here is the article where I got my information in case you wish to read more about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_63_assault_rifle

I'm sure what you have is a Norinco Type 63 assault rifle. It's the Chinese copy of the Russian SKS but unlike the SKS that uses a fixed magazine, the Type 63 assault rifle has modifications so it can accept cut down 20-rounders or the AK-style 30-rounders.

Here's a little more about the gun -
    The Type 63/68 rifle is a select-fire weapon, feeding by proprietary "cut-down" 20-rounds magazines or standard AK-47 30-rds magazines, although these require minor modifications (removal of the bolt hold-open device) to fit. The fire selector is placed on the right side of the weapon right above the trigger guard, at index finger reach. The Type 63/68 rifle also features a non-removable folding spike-bayonet and a gas regulator system[1] to use standard live ammunition or blank ammunition for the launch of rifle grenades.

The Type 63/68 was an outdated design already at the moment of its adoption, much like the American M14 rifle. It responded to a military philosophy based on the use of masses rather than of weapons, a philosophy that wanted the troops to be able to stop the enemy advance by rifle shots at extremely long distances, and relying on the use of the bayonet for the final close-quarters engagements. As such, the Type 63/68 had the accuracy and range of an “old time” rifle, but was too long and heavy to be serviceable, and lacked the firepower of a true modern assault rifle as it resulted less than controllable in full-automatic fire. Additionally, design flaws and poor manufacturing qualities erupted with user experience gaining a reputation of unreliability. Poor performance and increasing availability of more modern weapon (Chinese-made AK clones) in Chinese service led to the final withdrawal of this weapon from PLA use in 1978.

Several thousand of these rifles, with welded semi-auto only selectors, were imported as surplus into Australia and sold to the public in the early 1990s. In 1993 it was shown that the guns could be converted back to select fire, albeit requiring a reasonable knowledge and skill of metalworking. Customs made an attempt to recover them but many were not, it's unknown as to how many were recovered. Several dozen have turned up in the hands of OPM rebels in West Irian provence of Indonesia, they have also been seen in the recent fighting in Bangladesh as to whether or not they come from Australia is unknown as the Chinese did "sell" many Type 63/68's on to other interested parties.

The Type 63 can be loaded in 4 different ways, owning to its system:

1. Using an empty 20-round magazine, cocking the action holds the bolt to the rear; a 10-round SKS-type charger can then be put into the feed guides and the rounds forced down. Five further rounds can then be pressed in from the next charger.[3]
    2. 20 rounds can be forced down, one after the other, into the magazine.[3]
    3. A 20-round magazine can be pre-loaded off the gun and then placed in position.[3]
    4. If the bolt stop has been removed or ground down, a 30-round magazine can be used. But, it must be pre-filled off the gun as the bolt will automatically close on the empty chamber and close off the top feed opening.

And I'm sure that what you have is pre-ban because post-ban I thought was anything made after 1994, and this gun was taken out of production in 1978.

I also don't know why they call it a Type whatever. Why not just call it a SKS/AK or something like that. It's easy to get confused...
    Type 56 Carbine - fixed magazine - almost identical to the Russian SKS
    Type 56 Assault Rifle - Chinese copy of an AK-47
    Type 63 Assault Rifle - see above
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I wouldn't say anything made in China is junk. I'd just say that the American made stuff is better than the SKS at least. If we're comparing to the AK rifles, then there are pros and cons to both. Hey you know what, I think I'll start a little debate on this.
  4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

That's right, start looking for an American made SKS and you'll find real quality!

:rolleyes:

That was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell.

My brother had a Norinco SKS that really impressed me. Fit and finish was great, accuracy was reasonable for an SKS and it was 100% reliable, even without cleaning.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yeah the Russian/Chinese stuff is cool, but I just find American made stuff more comfortable. Have shot an AK in 7.62, AR in 5.56 and I would say I like the AR better. More comfortable, more accurate. The AK and Russian stuff all together is supposed to be more reliable. I hear AKs can handle weather better. I just find the SKS uncomfortable is all.

Another thing I like about the SKS's and AK's is that they are inexpensive everywhere I've seen them. The store in Sun Prarie has a couple used SKS's with the fixed magazines and they are all under $300. You can even deer hunt with them, but they will only allow you to have the ones with the fixed mag and 5 rounds in the gun at any time. The AK's are a little more expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the AR's. I got a buddy who has an SKS and an AK and he likes them both.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. Shorty Bang

Shorty Bang New Member

The bolt stop is still on this rifle but it will hold 30rnd mags...so i guess I didn't go wrong by paying $120...I just got excited and thought I might have something "special"
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

That depends.

I bought one from my brother about 15 years ago for a hundred bucks.
    It's chinese and works fine. It'll hit a 12" target at 150 yards all day long.

No. they won't shoot MOA at that range, but it's not meant to be a sniper rifle. How big is your chest?
  8. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

$120 won't buy you a SKS these days. If it will, please point me in that direction, because I'd love to have another one. I'm not being a smarty here, I'm being serious. I searched high and low for a month or so for the best price, and the cheapest I found (which I bought) was close to $300 for a Norinco at a local pawn shop.
  9. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Having shot each "on and off" the range, I prefer the AK. I loved my M-16/M-203 when I was in the army, but where reliability is concerned, it cannot hold a candle to a AK.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yes I would agree that the AK is a more reliable weapon. It's just overall more durable. It can handle more of a beating and I heard they adapt to climate much easier than the American made rifles.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Same here. The ones I've seen in my area go for between $200-$300. I rarely see any Chinese ones though. Most are the Russian or Yugoslavian model.
  12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

$120 for an SKS! I'd be all over that! A few months ago I saw two beautiful NORINCOs in excellent shape going for $400 each. They were not there very long. I've been seeing Yugoslavian SKSs going for anywhere from $289-$399, depending on the seller and the condition and I recently saw another NORINCO go for $399. Looks like the days of the cheap SKS are gone:(

I've fired both a Russian SKS and my Romanian AK, and I much perfer the AK design. Although lighter, the AK has a lot less recoil. The AK is also more confortable to me. I also perfer the AK over the AR. It's not as accurate, but it's more reliable and easier to maintain (although in all fairness, a good quality AR, properly cared for with the proper ammo is reliable as well).
  13. Shorty Bang

Shorty Bang New Member

I guess I should have put I bought the rifle about 3yrs ago and just started doing some research on it this week.....Dang if I could get $250-$300 I would let it have a new home.
  14. ARB

ARB New Member

I bought my Norinco a couple of years ago for $260. After I left, I felt as if I'd been robbed. Folks were telling me that they knew people buying them for $150. After searching far and wide for those deals, I came to the conclusion that those folks were mostly full of crap. My SKS looked like it came out of the box. The Yugo and Russian models that were parked next to the one I had bought looked as if they had been buried in dirt for the last ten years. And they cost a heck of a lot more. I have since added Tapco furniture. It came with a peephole sight that I'd like to replace, but besides that, I'm tickled pink with this highly reliable rifle. I'm no sniper, so I could never imagine the need to shoot something past 150 yards with it. It is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.
  15. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

All I was saying with my sarcastic comment was that the comparison of Chinese made vs. American made in this thread was pointless because to my knowledge there is no such thing as an American made SKS.

A lot of people put huge amounts of value in where something is made. In my own experience, I've found that:

A) a lot of this thought is motivated by patriotism or nationalism and has no basis in fact.

and

B) You can't necessarily say that all firearms produced in one country or another came from the same factory or the same batch.

As I said, I have first hand experience with a Chinese SKS that highly impressed me. That's not to say that this is representative of all SKSs coming out of the People's Republic, but it means that it's not all crap. Likewise, I know someone who has a Chinese knock-off M1A that has very impressive fit and finish and respectable accuracy. I'm not Chinese and I don't have any stake in promoting their products. I'll bet there are some absolute lemons out there. This can be applied to any nation or product. It's more important that you handle and inspect a firearm and know what you're looking for than it is to simply know that it came from one side a line on a map.