SKS

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by deen_ad, Mar 26, 2010.

1. deen_ad

deen_ad New Member

Friend has a Yugoslavian SKS that he has offered to me, unknown (to me) condition. No grenade launcher either!

How do they compare to an AK 47 or 74? Thinking about a Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter.

Want/need something that's reliable but not necessarily a tack driver. Just "good enough" out to maybe 200-250 yards if I need to take out a few blue targets.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

My experiences with the Yugo SKS might not be representative - I've owned a couple and they were both lemons, didn't function properly. I hear about other people who are totally satisfied with theirs. Might be a good idea to test-fire it before handing over your money.
    Personally, I would rather have an SKS (Russian or Chinese) instead of an AK for "serious" purposes, but I'm a dinosaur. The traditional stock configuration is more comfortable, the safety is in a better location, and the 10-rd magazine enforces "fire discipline"..... plus, the one-piece stock might be a better club in emergencies.
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I bought 3 Yugos a few years ago. All were just fine. I ended up selling 2 of them and the new owners are still very happy with them. I have heard that there are some bad ones out there, but I haven't been around any of them yet. Generally, most problems that people have can be linked to cheap junk aftermarket extended mags. I don't have any of the junk mags to worry about. My Yugo has not had any issues and routinely hits 2 liter bottles at 300yds (granted I do my part).
  4. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I hope I can get my hands on a good Yugo someday.... I know they're out there. My favorite will always be the Russian SKS, but the integral grenade launcher on the Yugo appeals to me.

The first Yugo I bought was "new, unissued condition"..... I soon found out it was cobbled together with out-of-tolerance parts.
    The second Yugo was obviously a veteran, well used..... TOO well used, as things turned out. I replaced the gas valve and now it works better, maybe 30 or 40 rounds between each jam.
  5. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Define "a few blue targets."
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I bought a SKS in 2006. It appeared brand new. It included a disabled rocket launcher (CA legal, sleeve welded over receptacle on the barrel). I thought it was from Yugoslovia (??). It was NOT a bunch of pieced together parts and it shoots very well (no problem hitting metal targets at 200 to 300 yds). I have no idea what others might have that are "Yugo" SKS's, but mine is not junk and better made than the new Chinese Norinco ones (circa1995) I have worked on for friends. So apparently not ALL the "Yugo" SKS's are junk!

Now, talking about junk, the Enfield No.4's modified by Century Arms to kind of look like No. 5's could be junk if you are as unlucky as me. Mine had to go back and its barrel was so bad they just replaced the whole gun. The edges of the rifling were so worn it apparently could not grip the bullets well enough and the gun shot patterns not groups. That cost me an additional DROS charge (CA paperwork for guns). The first one was junk but the second one is OK, for a military rifle! I have to hand it to Century, though. They took the first one back, without a whimper.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I was REALLY wondering about that too.....
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Same here!
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Having been in a few firefights myself.... I'll tell ya...... :eek:

Adrenelen & fear trump "discipline"..... give me a 20-30 rnd mag everytime... :D
  10. pawn

pawn New Member

I have a norinco sks that I enjoy very much. IMHO, the sks is an underated rifle and the only thing the AK has on it is detachable, high cap mags. Mine wears a Tapco T-6 stock and functions unfailingly with Tapco mags.

There is hard earned wisdom in Al's post....
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. ofitg

ofitg New Member

My hat is off to all the ground-pounders ! My military time was in the Air Force, and my "combat experience" consisted of taking cover during rocket attacks. If there are any "heroes" in a war, I think that title belongs to the men who humped 60-pound packs, slept in the mud, and stuffed their dead friends into body bags... enough said about that.
    I suspect that most guys who carried M14s and M16s into combat would rather not use "Model T's" like the Garand or the SKS..... and I also suspect that the old vets like Al developed some fire discipline of their own.

I'm really more worried about the other 99.9% of the population. Give the average guy a 30-rd mag, and I'm afraid he would empty it in 10 seconds without hitting anything.... as Al put it, adrenaline & fear trump discipline. If Americans ever have to fight for their freedoms on U.S. soil, there won't be any supply lines bringing up fresh ammo from the rear.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  12. ARB

ARB New Member

Still, no comment on what a "blue target" is? :confused:
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't think there's a SKS or AK that will perform out to 200 yards.
    100 yards max would be my guess. A kill at 200 would be lucky at best.
    I don't mean to offend anyone here, but it's NOT a sniper rifle.
    It was never meant to be a sniper rifle.

It's a close battle war rifle. Drop it in the mud, pick it up, and shoot it.

SKS/AKs were never meant to be used in the same sentance as accurate at long ranges. The kill caliber is there, but the accuracy is not.

The AR is a farther shooting rifle, but the bullet weight is lacking. Shot placement makes up for this.

I can hunt here with a SKS, but not an AR.
    Things that make you go hmmm....
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

My old SKS with the 10 round clip and scope mounted to it does well out to about 150-200 yards, right on the money. Ive never shot it much past that range and never killed anything out to that range other then gallons of water and what-not.
    But it is and always has been accurate out to that range for me...for the price I paid for it back when ($119.00), wish I would have bought several...had I have known.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just a guess on my part!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  16. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

My guess at the "Blue Target" :p

Attached Files: