Skunk Deterrents and Odor Remedies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocketman1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

My dog almost got skunked last night.

I let the dogs out last night and sat down on the steps of my deck waiting for them. The little one went down and came back up on the deck right away. Buddy Boy was starting to come back up on the deck and something caught his eye. He stopped, and then took off running to the back of the yard. Now I thought this was very strange, because he never chases after anything. He will sit on the back deck and let the rabbits and squirrels do as they please.

He is solid black and hard to see in the dark. I looked but could not see him or anything else for that matter. After a minute or so I whistled for him to come back, but there was no response. I went out there to investigate, and saw the skunk by the fence, and the dog was about six to eight feet from the skunk! I hightailed it back to the deck and called the dog back with me. I guess the skunk didn’t feel threatened, but it was a close call.

Now I’m worried that the skunk will be back, so I was wondering if anyone has any good skunk deterrents, and if any one has any experience with skunk odor remedies. I may need them, so I need to be prepared.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If he gets sprayed, you can soak him in tomato juice to help with the smell. Hopefully he wont be back.
  3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Mothballs = Skunk deterant.

They used to get under my shed so I asked my old fella neighbor about it he sugested that I put mothballs in the entrances that they used to get under the shed, it worked.
  4. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We've had skunks around here and been lucky the dogs didn't set sprayed. I purchased a spray at Lowe's or Home Depot named Repels-All. I have been using it and the skunk hasn't been back that I know of. It may be purely coincidental, but I will continue to use it until the skunks come back.

I think vet's offices sell some dog shampoo that may be more effective than tomato juice. But, tomato juice has been effective for me in the past.
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That would be cheaper than what I've been using. I'll try it. Thanks.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good .22 and towmater juice.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

8. Rocketman1

I used to have a ground hog under the shed (caught himin a trap last year and relocated him), and I have heard that skunks will run a ground hog out and take over their den.

Tomarrow I'm putting mothballs around the shed.

Thanks!
  9. Rocketman1

I got a good one of those thanks to Double D, but I'm just in the city limits. If I go outside my fence in the back, I can shoot him, but still to many houses around.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I got sprayed when i was a kid and took a bath in about 6 gallons of V8 juice and a metal tub. it worked great.

Id wager that youve never been sprayed by a skunk nor used tomato juice to remove the smell of skunk piss.

It also works quite well on cat spray too.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats what they make colibri rounds and .22 shorts for..
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My pup is a slow learner. She has twice picked a skunk up off the ground, and she's been sprayed a couple times in addition to that.

Tomato juice is OK... I guess. But I've got something better.

Mix a pint of hydrogen peroxide with a pound baking soda and just a splash of dish soap. Mix them quickly, then apply immediately. Work it into the dog's fur (be careful around eyes, nose, and mouth), then rinse it well. Two or three applications, half an hour, and you can't tell she was ever sprayed.
  13. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Mothballs are great. But, you have to make sure you get the old formula kind. There's new ones on the market that are not the same. Those kind work fine for moths but do nothing for skunks/other critters. The ones you want have Naphthalene in them.
  14. Rocketman1

That what I wanted, someone that has learned from experience. I have all of these ingrediants on hand now, so I guess I'm already prepared. Going to print the ingrediants out and stick it up on the frig, so I know where it is.

Thanks!
  15. watsisname

watsisname Member

Tomato juice didn't work for me but the Vet had some fantastic shampoo that worked great getting rid of the smell.