Skunk Deterrents and Odor Remedies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocketman1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Hey josh where did you learn that.your 100% right.The method is called deodorization through oxidation.Most people dont know that.Just wondering where you learned it.
  2. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

natures miracle works best for me
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I had a customer that was a doctor and there dog was sprayed by a skunk and wollered all over there carpet and there house wasnt livable.Stanley Steemer told them they had to get a hotel room for the night and they would ozone it for 500.00 bucks.They called my company and I took care of it in an hour for 50.00 bucks and they didnt have to leave.We have ULV fogger.Mixed the baking soda and peroxide fogged the house for 30 minutes and it was smelling like a new one.Just remember only use 3%peroxide anything stronger and youll bleach everything it touches.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nobody said anything about the tomato juice sanitizing. It does work to help remove the smell. Sanitizing is what soap is for.

I do like the peroxide and bakingsoda recipe tho. Think ill write it down as well.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Not sure how the peroxide & baking soda recipe got to me. Probably internet search. But it works great.

We do keep Nature's Miracle around here, too, but it doesn't get used much. Just if she gets sprayed directly in the face. It's much easier to apply around the eyes and nose without hurting the pup.

We keep good supply of baking soda and peroxide on hand, as she always seems to find the skunks sometime after midnight.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I just did an ebay search as: "moth balls Naphthalene" and found a number of sources. Haven't checked in local stores, yet.

Pops
  7. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

To get rid of the skunk smell the following works:

1. Baking Soda- Odorizer.
    2. Dish soap- Gets rid of the oil in the skunk spray.
    3. Hydrogen Peroxide- Anti fungal and disenfectant.
    4. Clothes pin-Your nose
    5. Swimming trunks. Your clothes will take on the skunk smell if not careful.

Mix together in a 2 gallon bucket of water. One big shot of dish soap, cup or two of peroxide and half box baking soda and stir. Wet dog, use spong and get a good lather on dog. Wash of with hose and do again if all the smell is not all gone. Your entire cost should be less than $5.
  8. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I have the same issues with a skunk which travels under my bedroom window at night (ranch home) and usually sprays when he hears any noise. I want to deter and have been doing research this week and many sites recomment ammonia in a bowl with a rag in it (I assume like a wick) . All the sites say it is very effective and skunks do not like it at all. I guess you could spray it. One of the sites also said to put chocolate around. Skunks will eat it due to the sweetness but their digestive systems cannot handle chocolate. The usually get violently ill and sometimes will actually die but they usually avoid the area where they ate the chocolate in future. I think I will try the ammonia first cause if I put chocolate out, my wife will be out there at night LOL.
  9. nynomad

nynomad New Member

Also If the dog gets sprayed DON'T let him in the house. I had two dogs sprayed at one time the first one ran in the house and sat down right on the pillow on the bed... that was the end of the pillow.

Tried tomato juice - just made the white parts of the dog pink. But the Hydrogen Peroxide mixture mentioned before worked best.

And if you think a skunk smells bad on the side of the road when you drive by. Wait till your with a dog that just got sprayed - it will make your eyes water!
  10. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

Catch a skunk- Use a live trap and bait it. Set far enough away from bedroom window to avoid direct spray. In the morning go with a 22 rifle and blow his ass away. Don't use a high power pistol or rifle as you will more than likely damage your trap. 22 works great. If you catch something else, dog or cat, just open live trap and reset for next night. If you have any grain or cat food in the barn make sure it is in a sealed storage container. Loose grain or cat food will also draw skunks. My biggest problem is coons. Caught nine this last spring that will no long come to my barn.
  11. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Assuming your dog lives in the house, after it is cleaned, are you able to let it back in the house that same night, or do you still have to wait a few days?

If I left mine out all night I know he would be barking all night long to come in, so I would probably have to put him in the garage. And if I leave him in the garage he would probably still bark all night, keeping me up.
  12. Rocketman1

WallyWorld and CVS have "Enzo old fashioned mothballs", picked some up tonight.

The active ingredients are: Naphthalene (99.95%). Inert Ingredients: (0.05%).
  13. Rocketman1

Yea, not looking forward to that. I went out last night with a flashlight, and checked the yard before I let the dogs out. It was still dark out this morning when I let them out, so I did the same thing.

When I got home today I put some Naphthalene mothballs around the shed and at a couple of places along the fence where some sort of critter has been getting through. Hopefully that will do the trick and it will stay away.
  14. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

I used to have the skunk highway through my backyard. My dog got sprayed 7 times. Tomato juice-----NOPE she just smelled like skunky tomatoes and turned her pink. Natures miracle-----works ok can still smell the skunk though. Aforementioned peroxide recipe----HELL YEA. You can bath them in it and have them sitting on your lap in 1/2 hr with no smell at all.

My neighbor gave me some 22 shorts to shoot them with. He told me to make sure it wasn't a immediate lethal shot. Just shoot them in the belly. WHY? So they run off and die in someone elses yard. Never did get the opportunity to shoot one
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My pup sleeps inside most of the time. Honestly, the peroxide/baking soda thing works so well that I carry her into the tub to clean her up in the first place. The smell is completely gone before she leaves the bathroom.

Last time she got sprayed after my wife had already gone to sleep, and the only way wifey could tell it had even happened was the empty containers in the trash can.

Now we make the dog stay in the rest of the night after getting sprayed, because she will go look for the skunk again trying to get even. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. Rocketman1

LOL!, Sounds like my dog.
    Thanks for the additional info, CampingJosh, and thanks to everyone else for all the suggestions. You have all been a big help.
  17. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

There is only one thing that will get out skunk smell. Hydrogen Peroxide.
    Mix Hydrogen Peroxide with your favorite shampoo at a ratio of 1 part Peroxide to 4 parts shampoo.
    It usually takes two washes, but it will completely eliminate the skunk smell.