Skunk Deterrents and Odor Remedies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocketman1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Assuming your dog lives in the house, after it is cleaned, are you able to let it back in the house that same night, or do you still have to wait a few days?

If I left mine out all night I know he would be barking all night long to come in, so I would probably have to put him in the garage. And if I leave him in the garage he would probably still bark all night, keeping me up.
  2. Rocketman1

WallyWorld and CVS have "Enzo old fashioned mothballs", picked some up tonight.

The active ingredients are: Naphthalene (99.95%). Inert Ingredients: (0.05%).
  3. Rocketman1

Yea, not looking forward to that. I went out last night with a flashlight, and checked the yard before I let the dogs out. It was still dark out this morning when I let them out, so I did the same thing.

When I got home today I put some Naphthalene mothballs around the shed and at a couple of places along the fence where some sort of critter has been getting through. Hopefully that will do the trick and it will stay away.
  4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I used to have the skunk highway through my backyard. My dog got sprayed 7 times. Tomato juice-----NOPE she just smelled like skunky tomatoes and turned her pink. Natures miracle-----works ok can still smell the skunk though. Aforementioned peroxide recipe----HELL YEA. You can bath them in it and have them sitting on your lap in 1/2 hr with no smell at all.

My neighbor gave me some 22 shorts to shoot them with. He told me to make sure it wasn't a immediate lethal shot. Just shoot them in the belly. WHY? So they run off and die in someone elses yard. Never did get the opportunity to shoot one
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My pup sleeps inside most of the time. Honestly, the peroxide/baking soda thing works so well that I carry her into the tub to clean her up in the first place. The smell is completely gone before she leaves the bathroom.

Last time she got sprayed after my wife had already gone to sleep, and the only way wifey could tell it had even happened was the empty containers in the trash can.

Now we make the dog stay in the rest of the night after getting sprayed, because she will go look for the skunk again trying to get even. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. Rocketman1

LOL!, Sounds like my dog.
    Thanks for the additional info, CampingJosh, and thanks to everyone else for all the suggestions. You have all been a big help.
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

There is only one thing that will get out skunk smell. Hydrogen Peroxide.
    Mix Hydrogen Peroxide with your favorite shampoo at a ratio of 1 part Peroxide to 4 parts shampoo.
    It usually takes two washes, but it will completely eliminate the skunk smell.