Skyy/Sccy Pistols

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by K75RT, Jul 7, 2008.

1. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Looks like a nice little pocket protector.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a skyy 9mm. I dont care too much for it. My son in law bought one used and the extractor was broken. He called them and they sent one out right away no charge. I installed it for him and its up and running. He complains of jamming all the time. I dont shoot mine enough to know. I originally bought it for my wife but she didnt care for it either.
  3. Grousetrapper

Grousetrapper New Member

I have a CPX-1 that I purchased about a year ago. The only trouble I have had is that when shooting certain brands of ammo, I'd have about 1 FTE in every magazine. I then tried some Winchester white box, and have gone through about 200 rounds without a single FTE. Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

Don
  4. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

I Bought one yesterday. Cleaned/lubed it before I took it to the range. Here are the pro's and con's...

Cons:
    I got off about 50 rounds and sure enough every 2 or 3 shots I would accidentally touch the safety and it would engage. Its pretty annoying that no matter how i held it it would still engage the safety accidentally.

After I got back from the range I stripped the gun for cleaning (which it really didnt need) I pulled the slide back, removed the clip, and as I was pilling out the retention pin I heard a crack....oooh no! My guide rod snapped, locking up my gun so that I could neither pull the slide back nor push it forward! so I gently pusted it back and forth until it finally gave and came back apart. Yep it was my guide rod! But not only that...In the process of getting it unjammed it bent up my recoil springs and the recoil springs basically sawed a huge gap in my frame!

I am currently in the process of an RMA with SCCY. They will send me the parts to fix the recoil spring and guide rod, but I'll have to pay shipping to get my frame fixed!

Pro's..
    The gun shoots very well. It DOES NOT KICK...I don't know what everyone was complaining about. I am used to shooting mostly 40 s&w, but seriously it kicked like a SIG 22 Mosquito! I could get all 9 rounds on a human silhouette target at 25 yards away in about 5 seconds! I noticed minimal muzzle flip!

The gun also feels great in my medium sized hands. Except for the safety engaging every now and then it was a pleasurable experience to shoot. But for those of you concerned about the safety issue they do offer a kit that basically makes it where the safety cannot be activated it you are worried about it!

I contacted customer service today, which was a pain. It seems that they are in the process of moving AGAIN! The phone numbers on their website are not working. I had to dig across a few forums to find their updated phone number. The new number is 386.322.6336 if anyone needs to contact them.

I was very impressed with their customer service. It was very similar to Hi-Point. Basically they ask for your serial number and will send you whatever part you need free of charge. If you need something like a receiver all you need to do is mail it in and they will make you a new one with the same serial number on it. The Customer Service Representative said all you pay to send it back is the shipping one way.

So far they have sent me:
    1. Guide rod/ recoil spring assembly
    2. Upgraded safety kit (to help with the safety engaging)
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. firecop19

firecop19 New Member

This is one dangerous pistol. Because of its price it was the first pistol I purchased. What a dangerous piece of crap. Very poorly made, very unreliable. When I put it down on the table the slide would lock back on its own. It moved while sitting on the table. Broken internal pieces, well too few to mention. Customer service, if you like doing the repairs yourself. Not a good primary or backup piece.
  6. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

Just installed my new parts. I ordered the safety removal kit and a recoil spring/guide rod assembly. All works well.

Just got back from the range. Shot 100 Monarch FMJ Brass Bullets through it. It worked flawlessly! After installing the safety removal kit it shot well. No more safety issues. Shot 7 inch groups at 48 yards. The gun probably would should shoot better but the trigger linkages make it inconsistent. I have noticed some wear along the receiver from the slide rubbing it. My next project will be to polish the slide so it will minimize the wear on the aluminum receiver.

Over all I am very happy with my SCCY CPX-1. I bought it used with one clip for $200. I Think it was worth the price.

Edit: For some reason when I am in the process of putting mine back together the barrel doesn't want to push forward. If I'm not careful the barrel will come back and the guide rod will chew up the receiver. So be careful Putting it back together. i find it helpful to push the barrel down while racking the slide then inserting the retention pin. I will upload pictures soon of my work.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. The Count

The Count New Member

Well, I don't have this gun so my opinion is mostly worthless, but after reading the posts here and the other thread on the gun it seems like the only pluses are something like: 'did not blow up in my face today, yeah!'

A pistol that you have to worry about like your worst enemy is not worth diddly-squat.
  8. K75RT

K75RT Member