The Firearms Forum banner

Slide assembly compatibility - Savage Model 30 to Hiawatha VR130 12 ga pump

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  derockus 
#1 ·
I have a Hiawatha 12 ga pump shotgun. Barrel stamp reads "Hiawatha Model 130VR". It is clearly a Savage Model 30 clone (or produced by them, however you want to put it). The slide assembly is cracked (the sled that the bolt rides on when cycling the action). Numrich has the part for the Model 30 but it looks ever so slightly different in their webpage photo. The rear end of the new part has a small tab sticking out. The broken part does not have this tab. The first few pictures are of my part (you might be able to see the crack). The new part also has the front-end 90deg notch on the opposite side as the old part. And the old part has a angled corner where the new part has the 90 deg notch. The last picture is from Numrich.

Is it OK to use this part? Does anyone know if it will fit as-is? If it doesn't, do you see a problem grinding it off? Thanks for any help.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/118780A.htm

I did some more searching to find other variant names for the Hiawatha VR130. It was also the Steven's Model 77 and the Springfield Model 67 (http://www.pmulcahy.com/pump-action_...otguns_s-z.htm). I have zero gunsmithing experience but if it means filing on this slide to make it fit I guess that's what I'll try. My thought is that since the new part has a notch where my old part has a dog-ear there's not anything going to be any additional metal there that might interfere with the action. If the new part's solid-side interferes (because my old part is notched) I'll just file a notch into the new part. If the tab on the back interferes, I'll file that off too!

The only other difference I can see is that thumbnail shaped divot next to the ramp. My old part has it further back than the new part.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.