Slide Crack In Kahr MK9?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jggonzalez, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a Kahr MK9 and I just noticed what looks like a crack between the openings in the slide for the barrel and guide rod. I've posted a pic below. Do any other MK9 owners have a similar problem? Does this look like the slide will need replacing? I just fired 150 rounds of Winchester 115 gr. FMJ a few days ago with no problems. I then noticed the crack when I was inspecting the gun after cleaning.

Thanks,

Joe Gonzalez

Attached Files:

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I would not fire it until it has been checked out. Notify Kahr about it, send a pic. I would think it needs to be replaced and could be an accident waiting to happen.
  3. I agree with DW, JG. That certainly appears to be a serious defect, and a potentially dangerous one. Did you buy the pistol new?
  4. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

I talked to Kahr this morning. They said they've seen this a few times on the MK9 and PM9, but not very often. The pistol is safe to fire and it shouldn't get any worse. I bought it used, so its not covered under warranty.

A new slide is only $130 and Kahr said they would fit it for free, so I'm thinking that I'll save up and have the new slide fitted and a tritium front sight installed later this year. The new slide would be under a five-year warranty, so I wouldn't have to worry about another failure.

Other than the crack, this gun has never had any problems. Frankly, the crack seems to be only a cosmetic issue. I'm going to put 200 rounds through it when I go shooting at the end of the week and see if it gets worse. If it doesn't, I'm just going to keep shooting it until I save up enough for a new slide, night sights, wood grips, and an NP3 internal/external coating.

I might also look into custom grips. Does anyone know of a maker of custom wood grips for the MK9? I know Hogue offers some, but I want some made of some really spectacular wood, like ironwood or tiger maple.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  5. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

I just looked at the Colt and Para-Ordnance sites and they also state that the warranty is not transferrable. I was thinking of buying a used Para Carry, but now I'm going to buy it new just to be sure.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Jg I would go ahead and get the new slide $130 ain't bad
    Fingers and eyes aren't replaceable
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

jggonzalez:

I am not familar with Kahr guns but I wonder what stops the rearward movement of the slide? Is it this area that's cracked? Does the spring collapse and that stops the slides rearward motion?

If it is either of the above your recoil spring is worn out and the slide is being hammered by stopping of its rearward motion. Ideally the recoil spring should be strong enough so that the slide cycles completely and just kisses the frame or whatever stops it. Often a recoil buffer is available to absorb the last of the recoil motion. There are often made of some absorbent plastic.

The bottom line is I would not fire it again without a new recoil spring and a recoil buffer. And I certainly would not just stick a new slide on it without a new recoil spring. If it is +P loads that is doing the damage then stop shooting them or get an even stronger recoil spring.

LDBennett
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

LD, FYI, Kahr says all their guns will handle +P+ ammo, without problem.
    They use a captive, Seecamp style, concentric recoil sring setup, and because of the short cycle time, load them heavily; I own one, the seventh of the MK9's built, and trade out springs at 500 rds, to be safe.
    Typical Browning (Hi Power) lockup, with, as I recall, a single locking rib on the top of the barrel.
    Hope this helps. Terry
  9. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

I showed it to the people at McBride's gun shop here in Austin and they said it was safe to fire. The factory people looked at my hi-res pics and said the same thing. I then put 100 rounds through it without a problem. I plan to send it back to Kahr pretty soon for a new slide, recoil spring set, and a full-length stainless guide rod.

I plan to get a Para-Ordnance CCO later this year and I think I'm going to buy new so I get a warranty with my pistol. I was lucky this time since the slide for my Kahr isn't that expensive, but I don't want something similar happening with a $1K gun.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

JG, I'd trust the guys at McBride's over the guys at the Capitol, any day, and have no fear of the fracture, in your slide, in any way.
    I suspect, if you talk with them, a bit, the folks at Kahr will likely replace the slide, for free!
    My premise would be, "Thats a lot of money; I think I will keep shooting it 'til it breaks... Then we can talk", with the expected response an offer of 'out of warranty' service, at no charge!
    Product liability, and the bad name one gets from public knowledge of such a problem, is a strong motivating factor, for them, as for every manufacturer of goods.
  11. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

I tried that. They said that if the dealer asked them to fix it they would. The problem is that I bought it at the local grocery store - in the parking lot of the local grocery store to be specific! (Here in Texas its legal since guns are not registered.)
  12. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

I just sent my MK9 back to Kahr for a new slide, stainless guide rod, and new recoil springs. It was very accurate last time I shot it, so I'm hoping that it stays that way after they fix it. I'll let you all know how it comes out.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

jgg, if you did, you did, and good for you; based on my parts purchases, from them, and the response time, it oughta be back in a week!
    Hope this is a rare failure, as I been trying to tear one up for about four years, with little success!
    Mr Bennett offers some good advice, in the 'recoil buffer' comment. I use them in all my 1911 pattern pistols, and my FAL's, but never saw an offering for them, for a Kahr pistol. Maybe not enough slide travel room to accomodate the thickness? Have not done the measurements, but most of these are of high density urethane, about .090" thick, and that's cutting slide travel awful close, if it rules them out!
    If there's a plastics warehouse in your area, shop them for a small piece of material, and cut out a couple, for range trial; I have several, locally, and will report what I find, in re: reliability, as soon as I can!
    Happy New Year!
  14. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

I was wondering about the recoil buffers myself. I might get some 1911 ones and trim them to fit. Kahr said the new slide is under warranty for five years, so I'm covered there.
  15. jggonzalez

jggonzalez New Member

Update - Kahr installed the new slide and threw in a set of Meprolite night sights for free. I took the gun to the range and ran 100 rounds through it without a hiccup. Seems just as accurate as before.

I got some cash for my birthday, so I ordered a set of XS sights for it. I've got the same sights on my .45 (Dan Wesson Bobtail) and really like them.

So far Kahr has a five-star rating in my book.