The Firearms Forum banner

slide force action

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  deadin 
#1 ·
Having too many birthdays and injury to my wrist It has become increasingly difficult to pull the slide back to chamber the first round. Are there any thoughts as to how I can reduce the slide force without affecting the guns operation. ie : a weaker recoil slide. (A clean gun and proper lubricant are given)

#2 ·
I have seen a T handle welded to a slide to ease its function.

#3 ·
The only way I can think of is to get a weaker recoil spring, but that could badly affect the gun. You don't say how you're grasping the slide, but that can affect the effort required to operate it. I've watched some videos aimed at ladies (but just as useful for anyone with arthritis) offering an alternate method.

The usual way is, I guess (as I was taught), is to grasp the back of the slide between thumb and forefinger, then pull straight back. That takes a strong grip and puts a lot of strain on the wrist. But the videos I mentioned show a sideways stance with the gun across the chest, but pointed downrange, and grasping the slide between the heel of the hand and all fingers. This allows for a much easier motion of the slide, and having tried it, I can verify that it really works.

If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot! :D

#4 ·
This is pretty much off-the-wall, but my wife has similar problems working the slide on my 1911 and her Makarov. What I've taught her to do is to hold the pistol with her weak hand, and CAREFULLY put her thumb of her stronger hand through the triggerguard - STAYING WELL CLEAR OF THE TRIGGER - and pull rearward with her index finger of that stronger hand below the barrel on the front of the slide. It helps if the hammer is already cocked, but she can still do it either way.

She finds she has more 'pinching strength' than she has 'grasping strength'. Whether or not you do this is strictkly up to you, but this works for her. Just be careful whatever you do.

#11 ·
The technique shown in the vid that jedwil posted does work for a lot of weaker armed folks.
Pushing out with your strong hand is easier than trying to slingshot the slide with your weak hand.
I've got a messed up weak hand thumb too and if it's a day where that thumb feels like garbage, I grab the slide overhand like he posted.

I know one older guy with arthritis in his elbows and hands who does something similar except he extends his arms out, elbows locked, and rocks his shoulders to push the frame foward and pull the slide back at the same time. All the motion is done at the shoulder works for him.

You'll probably have to work around your weaknesses to tweak any technique to best suit you. Maybe try to change how you grab the slide if that's the problem area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.