slide identification

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

ltjdew
    (5/28/01 6:44:07 pm)
    Reply slide identification
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just purchased my first 45 at a gun show this week and was trying to find info about the slide. It has an essex frame with a colt barrel and trigger but the slide is marked I believe CAL-MAR can anyone help me with this.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/28/01 6:55:16 pm)
    Re: slide identification
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ltjdew,

First let me say welcome aboard!

Stand by, help with your question is on the way,
    one of our 1911 experts should be here shortly.

Glad to have you here, hope you join us as a
    regular whenever you can.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Xracer
    (5/28/01 8:12:04 pm)
    Reply Re: slide identification
    Welcome aboard itjdew.

I built a 1911 on an Essex frame about 30 years ago...however, I used a Remington slide.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your slide, but, as Tac says, stick around, someone here will know.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/28/01 8:13:43 pm)
    Itjdew, welcome to the board. I have been unable to find any info on your Cal-Mar slide. The Essex Company has made slides for several different companies. Possibly, you have one of those.

ltjdew
    (5/28/01 10:08:13 pm)
    I think I found the right info the slide was made by sancalmar. it was a replacement slide made for the military after wwII. Does this sound correct to anyone

TYRVR
    (5/29/01 6:40:58 am)
    Yep, unususal to find slides marked cal-mar (very small writing) most were marked with just A #, Drake was another contractor,they were supposed to be built to "Match" tolerances,but unless You had an oversize frame,they fit almost unaltered to the frames of most Manuf.models, Springfield and later Essex frames were made oversize in the rails to allow fitting, otherwise, You either crushed the rails or welded them to achieve proper mating, sounds like A nice weapon, enjoy it,
    If Heaven ain't got A loading bench.....I'm going to Hell,

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/29/01 6:46:28 am)
    I got confirmation about your slide this morning. You are correct. San Cal-Mar was a replacement slide made to mil-spec. for the 1911-A1.