Slide Sticks

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mikesbales, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mikesbales

Mikesbales New Member

Hi, I'm new to reloading. Currently I'm only reloading for a .45acp but I seem to be doing something wrong. My ammunition will not load properly into my HK USP Compact. When I release the slide to load the first round it will load completly. But the slide is VERY difficult to pull back, and after that my other round will only allow the slide to close apx. 90% and are equally difficult to eject. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Below is a picture of the gun with the slide as far forward as it will go and also a pic of the loaded round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

Mikesbales, for some reason, I can't see your photos...

What type of bullet are you loading? I presume you already measured the bullet's diameter, the cartridge's overall length, etc?
    Are you using virgin brass, or already-fired brass?
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Photos no worky.

More details please. Die and die set-up, bullet, COAL, Crimp, etc.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I assume that your pistol loads properly with factory ammo? If so, the problem could be with your reloads.

The first thing I'd check, assuming that your cases are within length tolerances, is the over-all length of the loaded rounds. Could be that the bullet is not seated deeply enough.

The second thing I'd check is that the 'bell' on the case is fully ironed out when you seat the bullets in that last step of reloading. The bell is that slight flair that enables you to start the bullet into the case. When you seat/crimp the bullet in place that should flatten out the bell.

I shoot cast 200 grain Lyman bullets that are semi-wadcutter. With those bullets, it is critical (in my pistol - a 1911A1) that the bullets are seated so that the forward driving band on the bullet is flush with the case mouth. If it protrudes even a little, the slide will not fully go into battery. Hope this helps!
  5. Mikesbales

Mikesbales New Member

I am using 185G Hornady XTP bullets. Yes it loads perfectly with factory ammo. I have a lee press with RCBS carbide die set. This is virgin brass that I just bought at Cabelas, I believe it is Remington brand. Yes the bullet is .451" in diamater.
  6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Only other thing that comes to mind is that maybe you need to treat those cases like once fired, and size them. They could be a little 'fat'. But again, if that bell is not removed by the seating die, your brass could be hanging up in the chamber. If you have a micrometer, check the measurments of the case and the case mouth. That has to be where the problem is.

With those XTP bullets you should'nt have the depth seathing problems as long as you are loading to the manual's over all length.
  7. Mikesbales

Mikesbales New Member

I just loaded a dozen rounds and seated them a little deeper and they seem to be loading perfect! no sticking like before! I won't know for sure until I goto the range tomorrow but for now at least I think that may have been the problem. Thanks alot!