Slide Stop a PITA to reinsert

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Casey, May 26, 2011.

1. Casey

Casey New Member

I've got a new Remington R1 1911 which I love at this point but reassembly is a pita to get slide stop back in past plunger! I always have to use a thin bladed screw driver to push plunger back a little to get slide stop all the way in. Is there any trick to doing this or is there something that has to be fitted? Any replies much appreciated!
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Shouldn't be a problem. I have used in the past a thin screwdriver blade, paper clip and now use a Widget available from www.brownells.com.

I don't understand why you are having a problem. Have you changed the slide stop ?
    Are you lining the slide up with the take down notch ?
  3. Casey

Casey New Member

I see guys re-assembling 1911's on YouTube all the time just pushing the slide stop back in like theres no resistance. The little plunger seems to be stickin out too far or something on mine. It's all factory new at this point. I seem to have the slide lined up correctly cuz its all the time that it happens.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You just have a good plunger and spring. Is it really that much of a PITA to press it back a little to insert the slide stop? I mean iff its too loose it could walk out of the frame while youre shooting and mess your weapon up..

Every 1911 I have ever owned has to be 'helped' here just a little..

I have had well worn examples on my desk that would slide right in with a little 'pop' but again they were well used weapons with thousands of rounds thru them..
  5. Casey

Casey New Member

Good hear that its not abnormal. Thanks for the info. I'll just learn to live with it. I thoroughly enjoy the gun, just a basic no frills good shootin 1911!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

they are. I love the 1911 platform having built a couple myself.

The whole weapon will loosen up over time as you get some ammo ran thru it..
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

I've found that a drop of oil on that plunger does wonders on my Colt. And despite having taken it down hundreds of times, if I don't get that slide stop lined up just right, every once in a while it ain't goin' in without help! :)
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have that problem with my Sistema. It's quite annoying, actually. All my others go together like they should. This one - get out the pocketknife. I don't know whether the spring is a little too long, or the teat-end of the plunger is a little too long, or maybe the slide stop is a little long. But I wish it would go together like it's supposed to.
  9. techoca

techoca New Member

I use a thin guitar pick between the SS and plunger. Works great and keeps you from idiot marks if you will refrain from rotating the pin up from the bottom.
  10. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

perhaps you are trying sometimes with the link swiveled forward and sometimes rearward.
    determine which works best and stay consistent.
    it may be that the link is not sized perfect for your bbl/frame/slide. though if everything locks up tight and it groups well that likely is not the trouble.
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Get some SBGO and grease it up good and with time and use, it will slip in like ...pig grease!
  12. Casey

Casey New Member

I DO have SBGO! LOL That stuff is amazing, I started using it a coupla weeks ago.
  13. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I have found that mine goes in most smoothly if I hold the gun upside down to insert it. Dont know if that will help ya or not.