Slide too tight

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Sgt Nozaki
    (10/1/02 10:09:03 pm)
    Reply Slide too tight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there a way to enlarge a tight slide on a 1911? I have a 1911 us army colt slide and I'm trying to use it with a frame from about the same era. I noticed that the slide is too tight. I compared it with my friend's slide and the micrometer shows it to be a little smaller than the good slide. What should I do?

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (10/2/02 6:41:49 am)
    Reply Re: Slide too tight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Place the slide in a vise upside down. Use 320 grit emory paper placed over a file to polish the rails lightly from the slide stop locking recess. Pay special attention to the area behind the safety lock recess. This area is often bent in or out and may need to be straightned. If it is bent,use as much care as possible in straightning it as this area is prone to crack. Use a flat punch to remove any bend in the slide.

Brownells also makes a tool to correct an overtightned slide in case someone has tried to "fit" the one you have.

Sgt Nozaki
    (10/2/02 7:57:05 am)
    Reply Tight slide
    I will try the emory colt and check for burrs first. I don't measure any abrupt bends, so it could be that it was tightened overall. I have read where this is sometimes a practice. Thanks for the info. about the realignment tool. I didn't know where you could find these.

Incidentally, I am replacing the original slide because someone had installed a huge adjustable target sight on the rear. That left a big gash where the dovetails used to be. Am I correct in thinking that it would be more practical to replace the slide, rather than to have a gunsmith to fill the gap, redovetail the slot for the original G.I. rear sight, and then repark the finish.

Thanks much!

Hadaway
    (10/4/02 11:52:22 pm)
    Reply Tight Slide
    If the slide will go on the frame but is still tight, I would recommend lapping the slide in using fine jeweler's lapping compound. Just put a little on each rail and work the slide and frame together. You'll be amazed how quick this works. If you don't have lapping compound, use Shooter's Choice. It will take a bit longer but works just as well.

Good Luck,
    Lee

www.thearmsroom.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/6/02 8:19:58 am)
    Reply Re: Tight Slide
    If you can't find jeweler's lapping compound, go to the automotive dept. at WallyWorld and get some FINE auto rubbing compound.

Disassemble the pistol and put a small amount on the slide rails and work it back and forth on the frame. When it's close to being right, clean off all of the rubbing compound, and use toothpaste (yes, toothpaste!).

That should do the job for you.