slight bulge case just above belted area ok?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Mar 4, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm noticing a slight bulge in even my once fired 6.5 Rem Mag belted cases.I've reloaded 100 or so and so far none has stuck in the chamber but i think its something i will need to address.my FL resizer doesn't remove it.I's there a die i need to get to fix this and if so i doubt i can find it in this caliber its so rare.however the case in that area is the same diameter as a 7mm Rem Mag if thats any help. I don't know what to do to remove this very slight bulge.I'ts barely visible right nextt to and above the top edge of the mag belt.Sorry i don't have a way to include pictures,but i don't think it would show up anyway.Any reccomendations would be grateful.THANKS Joe
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it.
    When you're reloading them, just treat the brass like a regular bottleneck (non-belted mag) case and resize so it headspaces on the shoulder instead of trying to headspace on that worthless little belt.

It sounds like your chamber is a bit on the large side and your resizing die just doesn't quite reach down to the belt (which is normal for the belted mag dies that I have).

What you shooting? An old 600/660, a 700 Classic, or a 673 Guide Rifle? (Or something completely different?)
    The 6.5Mag is a bugger to find brass for but it's still a neat cartridge.
  3. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply.The gun is a 70's vintage ruger m77,the old one with tang safety and adj. trigger.I bought it new in 1977 as my high school graduation present to me.Later when i saw the ammo getting scarce,i bought 20 boxes of ammo and a set of RCBS dies cause i knew i'd need them eventually.Glad i did.It's a good cartridge and deer killer,it just never caught on.THANKS Joe.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Dang...I never knew Ruger chambered the 77 in 6.5Mag. Another one to put on my search list!
    1977 was already at the tail-end of the 6.5mag popularity...I'm surprised it was still chambered then. It had pretty much petered out after the 600/660s stopped production.

But yup, its a great little cartridge...long-action power out of a short-action cartridge.
    The 6.5 and .350 kinda jumped the gun on all these "new fangled" short-action magnums of recent years. The short-action magnum idea didn't really catch on with the masses back in the 60s/70s and I don't think these new ones like the WSM and Remington SAUM family will last much longer except with a few shooters.
  5. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Former Guest

Have you used a paperclip to feel for an indentation on the inside wall of the case? Checkout: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/brasssizing/index.asp

You wouldn't want the head to separate if the brass is going bad.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Slight bulging just ahead of the belt is quite normal and usually only causes a problem if you are shooting your ammo in two different guns, however if the diameter of the belt grows more that about .003 you are loading too hot. If it really bugs you, you can take your sizing die to a machine shop and have it shortened about .010 but then you might work harden the brass in that area by re-bulging it when shot and then putting it back when resizing each time.

Ron
  7. Torg

Torg New Member